I had high hopes of hearing the marvelous 1812 overture in DVD Audio, with the bells, cannons, and full orchestra that CAN make the 1812 overture an incredible music experience.
This DVD-Audio falls completely flat. From the second I began listening, I figured SOMETHING had to be wrong with my system. I checked my connections. I checked to make sure that it was actually running in DVD-Audio mode in my DVD - AUDIO player.
I played another DVD-Audio, which sounded incredible! It wasn't the setting. Lo and behold, it wasn't my system. It's this DVD! THe problems are as follows:
1) The sound level is too low.
2) THe orchestra is way too thin - there is no immediacy.
3) The only thing that is full, is the low bass for the bass drum, which overpowers the whole orchestra somehow.
4) The surround sound is almost inaudible and worthless.
5) The orchestra itself is lifeless and dull.
Again, I tell you, this is the 1812 overture! At the end, you are supposed to be virtually swept off your feet with the majesty of the bells, cannons, and FULL ORCHESTRA blasting in glorious cacophony! But on this performance, you're left yawning.
And the "warning" about making sure you need to check your audio level when the cannons go off because they're too loud, what a bunch of tripe!! It's simply not the case. They're not loud. They don't even sound like cannons; instead, they sound like pistol fire.
This DVD is an EXTREME DISAPPOINTMENT..