Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Cook All-New Kindle Paperwhite Music Deals Store NFL Tools

on July 5, 2001
As a parent of a six-year-old with ADHD, I highly recommend this book to all parents of children up to age 10 that have ADHD. It's easy for a doctor, social worker, etc., to tell you how to raise a child with ADHD, but there is nothing like getting tips and suggestions from other parents who live with an ADHD child. Ms. Alexander-Roberts has written a marvelous, infomative book that should be read by ALL parents struggling to raise a child with ADHD.
This book, written by Colleen Alexander-Roberts, is based on her actual parenting experiences--both what works and what doesn't work. Not only does she give the reader many tips and suggestions that work, she also gives the readers tips and advice from other parents.
The book "The ADHD Parenting Handbook" should be on the shelve in every parents home. Yes, it's that good. In fact, I saw it on the bookshelve in the office of my son's therapist. When I asked about the book, the therapist said that she highly recommended that my wife and I read it. We're so glad she did because it has became OUR BIBLE on ADHD and parenting.
Thank you, Colleen, for taking the time to share your real life experience with readers such as myself. It's obvious that you wrote this book for parents just like my wife and myself.
This is one book every parent should read.
on January 13, 2000
If you don't believe that ADHD exists or that your kid could actually have it read this book! Through hundreds of interviews of parents coping with the agonizing and frustrating task of raising a difficult child it becomes easy to recognize and understand the universal symptoms and challenges of ADHD.
For myself this book is truly the BIBLE of parenting. There is advice to help with school mornings, bedtime, and bathtime, eating out at restaurants, tantrums, travelling with your child and trying to talk on the phone when your son or daughter is in the house.
In the chapter Problems That Drive You Wild, some of the case studies and references were described with such clarity that I had to ask myself, "Did these people spend an afternoon with my daughter?" What is very important, is that the author encourages each parent to modify the suggestions for their own particular child and family situation. I have found Books by many Professionals who have not had the experience of dealing with an ADHD child to be very limited in scope.
There are extensive resources for interfacing with your child's school and advocating for their academic success. You are actually helped walk through the maze of educational bureaucracy.
This is probably the ONLY book that I myself have read that gives you strategies for feeding your child while they are taking medication for ADHD. If your child has shown a dramatic improvement while on medication this will be very important to you.
I only wish that I had found this book three years ago, when I realized that my child had special needs. Yet one can not look back; I hope that those of you who are reading this review will benefit by the knowledge it can provide you.
on January 13, 2000
In the chapter Problems That Drive You Wild, some of the case studies and references were described with such clarity that I had to ask myself, Did these people spend an afternoon with my daughter? What is very important, is that the author encourages each parent to modify the suggestions for their own particular child and family situation. I have found Books by many Professionals who have not had the experience of dealing with an ADHD child to be very limited in scope.
on July 9, 1998
as a parent of a son with ADHD, I've read many books on the subject and this book is a great beginning reference for someone who suspects their son/daughter has ADHD.
on October 25, 2010
Yep,I also have a shelf full of books in the hope they will enlighten us on our journey with our 5 year ADHD son. But this has got to be THE BEST one yet - chocked full of really great advise for parents on dealing with every situation we face daily. If you only buy 1 book to help you manage your difficult journey - this is it!
on June 16, 2004
This book is a very basic handbook. If you dont know anything about ADHD, it will be helpful, as it answers most of your questions. For more experienced ADHD parents, this book will not tell you anything you already know.
I have some basic knowledge on ADHD, so this book didnt tell me anything new.