The 1001p blows away most other 10" netbooks regardless of cost. Had this machine for a few days now and highly recommend this purchase.
Things to consider that make the 1001p stand out from many other netbooks:
1. Awesome Matte Screen. NO glare! (unlike most other netbooks).
2. Great keyboard, super fast and comfortable to type on, (and it's a NORMAL, standard English keyboard NOT the almost unusable bilingual keyboard usually forced on Canadians).
3. Excellent touchpad... (no need for a mouse with this netbook).
4. Slim, clean design (even with the 6 cell battery installed).
5. Nice matte (black) finish on most of the 1001p surfaces, (doesn't show finger prints like many other netbooks).
6. Really small and light power brick.
I'm used to winxp, but the win7 is not bad, runs ok with 1gb ram, not a ton of bloatware installed, 720p hd video runs fine, quiet, cool, etc, etc.
Amazon supersaver shipping was quick.
I also have 2 well designed highly rated netbooks at home, (Samsung NC10 and LG x110) to compare against and other than the lack of dedicated pageup and pagedown keys (like the NC10) I'd say the 1001p keyboard is perfect.
I originally purchased (and returned) a new hp mini 210. Unfortunately hp's new netbook has some major design flaws, for example a poor choice of touchpad (no dedicated buttons), and a non standard location for that touchpad, which among other problems, often results in the cursor jumping all over the screen while typing. Almost illegible font to mark the function keys on the hp and the hp 6 cell battery also protrudes much farther than the 1001p.
Note: As of early March Asus has a revised bios available that increases screen brightness. Simple to do with ASUSupdate feature in the program menu.