Before I even start this review, I want everyone to know that I am a huge Joey and Rory fan. I watched them on Can You Duet, I bought the Cheater Cheater mp3 the day it was released, and then I bought their first album "The Life of a Song" on its release date. After doing a little research, I found out that Joey released an album a few years earlier titled "Strong Enough to Cry" which you can buy through their website. I even met them this past fall when they did a free concert in Ashland Kentucky. They were extremely nice, and down to earth, they waited until every fan had met them before they left. Now, let's get to the album. I received a review copy, that's why my review is somewhat early.
Album # 2 is a fantastic listen, from the titled track, up until the end with This Song's for You. They have improved since their first release, and they didn't really play it safe this time. Each song tells a story, and they sing them as if they have lived each story, their depth and passion really shine. This time around, Rory does sing, he and Joey share some songs, but he sings one song by himself, the emotional "My Ol' Man" and like I previously said, you can tell his passion within the story. They duet with a song called "Born to Be Your Woman" and you can tell that their love is molded within this song, it's such a great tune, and I love it. There are 12 tracks this time around, and I'll give a detail on each song below.
1. Album # 2 - This song is so much fun, and so witty. They detail their career from the launch of their first album. Joey and Rory both sing, and it's so nice to hear Rory sing! There were a few instances where I could not make out what they were saying, but after playing back, I could understand each word.
2. That's Important to Me - This song first made its debut on Joey's self titled album, "Strong Enough to Cry" It's basically what its title says, it's a story of what's important to Joey. You can tell she's a country girl with this moderately paced tune. Some couples will make this their song.
3. All You Need is Me - This one gives the "Cheater, Cheater" vibe for some reason, Joey sings about "her" cowboy. I love this track, it's more of a fast paced tune, and let's just say it's a fun song.
4. Born to be your Woman - This song, reminds me of my old man and my mother. It's destined to be a great wedding song, and it tells a story that must be trying, because these lyrics could not be written by anyone who is not in a true state of love. It's also another duet of both of them.
5. Baby I'll Come Back to You - This is probably the most fun song on the album. I don't want to spoil much about it, and it's easily the one I could talk the most about. It's just a phenomenal fast paced song. If you download just one song, make it this one.
6. God Help My Man - This is old fashioned country, and not a lot of women would dare sing a song like this in this day and age. Songs like these are why I love Joey and Rory, because they're pure country. Wanna hear what Joey would do to Rory if he cheated? Listen to this one.
7. The Horse that Nobody Could Ride - This is such a beautiful song, and I'm sure it has an underlying meaning, but I love to take it as it is. The song itself plays off more of a story than a song. Joey's voice shines here also.
8. Farm to Fame - Another favorite of mine. This tune basically tells the story of someone entering fame, but also how he goes from rags to riches, to rags again. It's a unique song, and I'd love a video for this one.
9. Where Jesus Is - A wonderfully sung religious song sung by Joey. It left me speechless.
10. You Ain't Right - A hilarious song mentioning whats wrong with us, and what a lot of people do that they shouldn't. Lifestyles gone wrong basically. It's just one of those songs that's gonna get stuck in your head.
11. My Ol' Man - This song had such a strong impact on me the first time I heard it. It's like they took my relationship with my father and sang it to me. Rory tells a strong tale and makes a great tribute to his late father here. If you're a daddy's boy like me, then this one will hit home for you.
12. This Song's for You - Dare I say, this was my least favorite song on the album? That may sound like a bad thing, but if your taste is like mine and you loved this track, then imagine what you're in for with the previous 11 tracks.
The one great thing I find about this album, each song could become a hit, and could have a wonderful video to accompany it. The duo's voices are phenomenal, and if they are for any reason, let out of their contracts after this hit album, then there is something extremely wrong with their record company. This album makes a great companion to "The Life of a Song" and it could very well be just as good, if not better. I whole heartedly recommend this album, because it's a winner!