Alphonse Mucha: The Spirit of Art Nouveau Hardcover – Apr 20 1998
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
From Library Journal
Alphonse Mucha (1890-1939) was one of the most important decorative artists in Paris at the turn of the century. His sensual female portraits with their elaborate borders?le style Mucha?embody the essence of Art Nouveau. The Mucha family and the Mucha Foundation have put together a touring exhibition of Mucha's work, and this is the companion volume. Though numerous works on Mucha have appeared in the past few decades, none have been as exhaustive as this illustrated group of essays by noted European experts. The full-scale treatment covers paintings, decorative panels, pastels, drawings, photographs, jewelry, and advertisements as well as numerous book and magazine illustrations. The essays elucidate Mucha's political activities in Czechoslovakia, which spawned the enormous murals "The Slav Epic"; his association with the actress Sarah Bernhardt; and the impact of American patronage on his later work. This lavish homage may prove to be the most important study of an amazing and prolific artist. Highly recommended.?Joseph C. Hewgley, Nashville P.L., Antioch
Copyright 1998 Reed Business Information, Inc.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
I was lucky enough to see this exhibit in Reno - and it was just beautiful. To see the works in person is just breathtaking.
Most recent customer reviews
Amazing book, beautiful picture...im not a big fan of review but its a pretty nice book, enough big, nice hard cover.Published on Feb. 17 2013 by Benoit Chartier
I saw this book at Borders and requested it from the library since I couldn't afford to buy it that day. It is an amazingly beautiful book with so many pictures. Read morePublished on May 14 2003 by Jaraslova
This book is excellent. I just wanted to say that I was pleased that his paintings were also included as well as all of his poster illustrations that Mucha is more famous for. Read morePublished on March 30 2002 by Valerie Hernandez
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Arts & Photography > Artists, A-Z > ( M-O ) > Mucha, Alphonse Marie
- Books > Arts & Photography > Design & Decorative Arts > Decorative Arts
- Books > Arts & Photography > Design & Decorative Arts > Graphic Design
- Books > Arts & Photography > History & Criticism > Regional > European
- Books > Arts & Photography > Museums & Collections > Museums > Exhibition Catalogues
- Books > Arts & Photography > Schools, Periods & Styles > Art Nouveau
- Books > Arts & Photography > Schools, Periods & Styles > Modern
- Books > Education & Reference > Writing, Research & Publishing Guides > Publishing & Books > Bibliographies & Indexes > Art & Photography