Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Countdown to Black Friday in Lawn & Garden

4.5 out of 5 stars1,449
Denomination: 100Design Name: All OccasionsChange

on November 10, 2014
International buyers beware! A thoughtful and generous family member in Canada was unable to purchase a gift card on for my wife and me in the United States. Reluctantly, he sent us an gift card thinking that we would still be able to make use of it. The truth is that even though it appears on the outside that and are the same company; and inexplicably you can log in to either website using the same login/password (I never set up an identical account); and even though everything else looks the same; and ostensibly this in many ways *is* the same company (they have all my credit card info on already, all my addresses, etc); you CANNOT transfer the gift card from one country to another even if you are willing to take a hit on monetary conversion from CDN dollar to US dollar. I can send it to someone else but it has to stay in Canadian currency. The Prime service I have paid for on my account (for many years now) does not apply to

Hoping to make the best of this, my wife and I looked into what we could purchase and have delivered. A small reading light will cost more to ship than the actual cost of the light itself and will have to be delivered at the lowest rate (I could receive it within a couple days here). I'm guessing it will have to do some major traveling (as it likely already has) to get here. Perhaps even more frustrating is that many of the items we have tried to add to our shopping cart cannot be delivered to the US due to regional shipping prohibitions. Yes, I understand certain electronics but a picture frame?

I dug a little deeper to see what I could get as far as books (because that's Amazon's bread and butter, right)? A book by a small publisher that I could receive TOMORROW in the US will ship "within one to three months" according to I then checked Harry Potter series -- very readily available, but for the CDN$ 52.74 cost of the book collection, the international shipping & handling at the slowest/lowest rate is CDN$ 17.35. Yowza!

Chat and e-mail with and were given prompt response but with canned responses or confusing English that was so difficult to comprehend that it took several reads to really understand what was trying to be conveyed. ("Unfortunately there is no such things or else I would love to help you with it. I'd request you to contact your relative who have provided you with this gift card and I'm sure that they will be able to provide you with the details of it or provide you with another card so that you can use it on" = not true since the relative already tried to do this FIRST).

We are now stuck with a relatively large gift card that we'll likely just have to use to send gifts to other Canadian family. Although we are generally very pleased with our Amazon.COM purchases, this first interaction with is less than desired. We will continue to treat as a separate, independently operating company if they wish, but they have immediately left a bad taste in our mouth and we will certainly warn our family in the north to avoid cross-nation transactions.
on April 8, 2012
I live in Canada while my family lives in the states. I purchased the gift card for my daughter in Kansas City, Missouri for a birthday gift. I had gone to the Amazon. com site but didn't realize that at some point it had reverted me to the .ca site. It wasn't until after my daughter received it and tried to redeem it that I received an email from her saying it was nonredeemable. She had sent a copy of the e-certificate and as I was reading through it I saw the address was the .ca site. So I emailed back and told her she would have to go to the .ca site to redeem it. Unfortunately, she can redeem on the .ca site but they won't ship to the US. What a bunch of crap this is!!! Amazon is Amazon, and it should make no difference where it is shipped to.

I am extremely disappointed with the process of this whole thing. From being reverted back to the .ca site unawares and then all the crap of my daughter trying to redeem the damn thing.
on August 23, 2012
I bought this gift certificate with the intention of allowing it's reciever to purchase books on her Kindle but only found out after that by purchasing it on the .ca site does not allow Kindle books to be purchased. I think that this is ridiculous and the .ca and .com site should be interchangeable for Kindle purchases. If amazon is going to treat Canadian purchases differently on their .com site (and by differently i mean not allowing Kindle books to be shared in Canada) then why are we only allowed to purchase kindle books from the American site?
on May 17, 2011
I purchased a Kindle for my wife on The product came and my wife loves it. I purchased a gift card on and it works like a charm. Now I live in Canada and I came across When it came time to purchase a new gift card, I purchased it on My wife registered it but could not get the purchases on her Kindle to recognize the new card. I was instructed that I would have to purchase the gift card on and I would be refunded the money from I purchased the card on and the activation worked like a charm.

However I still do not have a refund from
It's very interesting that they can debit your card in seconds but it takes weeks to credit the same card.
How can that be.

A very dissatisfied customer.
on May 9, 2012
Sent the certificate by e-mail but yet it took two weeks for the person to get it. What is the point of e-mail if you are slower than regular mail?
on May 10, 2013
I ended up buying 2 of these gift cards for myself, because I was trying to place an order that I wanted to split across 3 credit cards (2 Visa gift cards and my personal card). I get a lot of Visa gift cards as presents and every time I've tried to split a purchase across multiple cards at any 'bricks & mortar' store, I haven't had an issue.

When I contacted Amazon to do the same (I knew it wasn't possible online), I was advised that their system could only recognize 1 credit card! (What a pain!) So, their suggestion was to order 2 amazon gift cards, then apply both of those to my purchase with my personal credit card.

At least this was some solution, but it was a bit of an annoyance. I ordered the gift cards online, to be delivered by email, and received the confirmations about 20 minutes later. Then I was able to apply both and finish my purchase.

My only caveat (and the reason for 4 stars - besides the inconvenience above) is for people who purchase from the US (.com) site as well as the Canadian (.ca) site - apparently these things are NOT interchangeable, so make sure you know where your purchases will be made!
on October 3, 2013
I bought a gift card for a relative, buying the email version, since i thought it would be the quickest and easiest way to send it to him. (he lives in a different province). But it was a COMPLETE hassle on both our ends to receive it. What shoul've been an automatic transaction, and received within a few minutes took about 4 days, before he was finally able to access it. Between not receiving the email, to the code not working out, to multiple other things...too long to get into. I will never buy an online email gift card again. Way too much headache for nothing. At least the customer service were VERY helpful. that made things a little better...but i still won't purchase another email gift card again.
on January 24, 2013
On December 20, it still seemed like a great idea to send Amazon gift cards to my three Canadian grandchildren-in-law. Wrong! After several "re-sends" and three chat-room experiences (although the chat-persons were very courteous), only Keenan received his e-gift card. I finally had to cancel Sara's and send her a check -- and I'm still not certain whether Casey has received hers or just given up on it.
I do like Amazon and I love my Kindle but this made for a VERY disappointing Christmas.
on November 3, 2013
My daughter suggested an Amazon gift certificate for her birthday, as she wants to build up her home library. It was a fast & easy gift to obtain. My daughter was happy. What more can I say?!
on April 25, 2013
I bought this as a gift for my fathers birthday. He has a kindle and reads a lot. I figured he could load this onto his account and it would cover his books for a while.

Unfortunately, he has an account, not an account. Amazon would not transfer it to his .com account and he still has not used it.

Make sure to double check which account the recipient has before you buy!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Customers who viewed this item also viewed Gift Certificates - Print at Home Gift Certificates - Print at Home by Gift Certificates
CDN$ 0.15 - CDN$ 5,000.00