Let's get this straight from the beginning - YOU WILL HATE THE ARCADE FIRE ON YOUR FIRST LISTEN. It's like that for everyone. But after a few cycles through their album(s) you will grow to love their music. Although there are a couple of not-so-great songs on this EP, it is well worth the money. A huge fan of "Funeral", I bought this EP expecting great things. At first I was disappointed, and not until about 5 listens through the album did I start to appreciate the music. Give it time. In the meantime here is my review of the album:
1. Old Flame - 9/10 - a catchy song, a nice way to introduce the EP. Not their best work but still a very nice song.
2. I'm Sleeping in a Submarine - 8.5/10 - Pretty good, extremely catchy bass line that kicks in after a little while.
3. No Cars Go - 10/10 - Simply incredible. I thought it was mediocre at first but after about the 10th listen I started to really appreciate its beauty. It's about how you move on when you die...very moving. Comparable in quality to "Wake Up" or "Rebellion (Lies)" from the full-length Funeral.
4. Woodland National Anthem - 8.5/10 - Pretty good song, somewhat repetitive.
5. My Heart is an Apple - 7.5/10 - Probably my least favourite off the EP...in my opinion, swear words have no place in Arcade Fire songs. It's like putting ketchup on ice cream.
6. Headlights look like diamonds - 9.5/10 - Another mind-blowing song. Unbelievably good.
7. Vampire/Forest Fire - 8/10 - along with My Heart is an Apple, this track makes up the weaker side of the EP. Still not a bad song though.
Overall - 9/10
New listeners to the Arcade Fire should start off with Funeral, the stronger of their albums. However do not overlook this EP, it is worth having in your music collection.