Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Cyber Monday Deals Week in Home & Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Tools

on July 3, 2011
I've bought the Archos 43 a few weeks back and I must say that I am pretty satisfied with the product.

I basically wanted a small smartphone without the smartphone contracts and this is basically what this is. It is a complete Android tablet that can run almost all apps (all the apps I've tried anyway) quickly and without fuss. It functions perfectly well, unlike many Chinese knock-offs of Android tablets it really does work well without constant pestering with bugs. It can easily surf the web (even play Flash objects after installing Flash), play game apps and play videos or music. The build quality seems quite good, the back flexes a little when pushed, but that's really an insignificant complaint. The little prop is a nice touch.

It has played all files I put into it until now, except for DRM-protected iTunes files that I put there by mistake, knowing they would never work. The accelerometer works very well after calibration, I have been able to play driving games like Raging Thunder without problem. Mine is the 16 gb, and my music collection is much bigger than that, but I can easily add a microSD card to add more storage capacity. The audio quality seems better than average, better than my iPod classic at least.

The battery life is excellent, as advertised. I've not yet drained the battery completely, but I've no problem believing the claim of up to 10 hours of internet browsing. The screen resolution and viewing angles are excellent. It really looks very good, and the colors are really vibrant if brightness is turned up to maximum. The camera is quite decent, the photos are decent, but nowhere near photos taken by digital cameras, of course. It can also film in 720p which does work well and looks quite nice, though again, not comparable to any dedicated video cameras.

That being said, there are a few problems. First, the screen is resistive, so you have to use your nails or plastic stylus to use it correctly. It is responsive enough, but I've noticed a tendency of the screen to detect pressure points off of where I press sometimes. I think it comes when I press with my fingernail but my finger touches the screen too, which causes the screen to panic and register a contact point away from both finger and fingernail. This can be particularly annoying when trying to type fast with two thumbs, as seemingly random letters may appear if you're not careful. That's the reason I take one star off of my rating.

My Archos 43 also seemed not to play well with my router at home, an old D-link DIR-615. Not only did it drop the connection, but the router itself sometimes stopped working, shutting off the internet for every other computer connected to it, even if by cable. I don't know where the problem comes from, but it has not occurred for a while now, so I don't know what to make of it.

There is also no 3G equipment inside, so you can only serve the web by Wifi or tethering with a phone with access to the internet. I personally use a mifi with Bell, and it works perfectly.

So overall:

-Fast little tablet the size of a smartphone.
-Excellent battery life.
-Excellent screen (resolution and viewing angles).
-Runs almost all apps without problem.
-The accelerometer works very well.
-Easy firmware update.
-Everything works as it should, no bugs.

The BAD:

-The touch screen is resistive and registers phantom contact points if there is more than one contact point.
-May cause some problems with older routers.
-Doesn't come with Android Market installed, but it can be installed easily by googling or going to, so it's barely worth mentioning.
-No syncing program like iTunes for the music player (there may be apps for this, but I haven't installed them yet).

-Nothing ranks as UGLY.
on November 1, 2011
Pour un petit appareil, elle a un son surprenant et excellent. Pour ce qui est de la navigation sur le web c'est tres tres bien, c'est fluide et rapide. Le telechargement des applications se fait rapidement et il y a souvent des mises a jour. Archos 43 tablet a acheter.
on September 14, 2013
The product is made of a certain quality and the design is not bad. As for the OS I do not recommend the installation of GAPPS (Google applications) the 512 mb ram can not manage this amount a background application. It is a better idea to look for your application elsewhere. Overall despite the cpu and rom weakness, it is an excellent mp3 especially for those who love playlist. Be warn, installing gapps will affect the performance of your device.
on March 22, 2012
I owned the Archos 43 for about a month and i eventually decided to return it. I have been searching for a replacement to my Zune 80 and i eventually decided on this. I liked the device at first, everything worked properly until i updated the latest firmware and then it started to cause me problems. The device would do a "multimedia library update" that would bring it to a grinding halt. I couldnt find a way to fix this until i formatted the device and that fixed the problem. I didnt feel confident in further software updates, and other problems that may arise. The ability to pick up wi-fi was not great, it would lose its connection fairly often, meanwhile a friend beside me with an different mini-tablet would not have any connection issues. Other than these problems, i liked just about everything else, for example: the sound quality, playing videos and games on the tablet, etc.
on October 24, 2014
I knew it was small but I did not know it was that small, it still performs like a regular tablet but the charger takes forever to charge. I am thinking of selling it though.
on September 17, 2012
very compact Ideal for travel
clear picture and sound
Easy to use and setup within five minutes
Product was above expectations