- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Audio Postproduction for Film and Video: After-the-Shoot solutions, Professional Techniques,and Cookbook Recipes to Make Your Project Sound Better Paperback – Oct 13 2008
|New from||Used from|
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
"Topics are not shortchanged... The chapter on dialogue editing alone is worth the price of the book."--S.D. Katz, millimeter magazine
"The book's audio CD ... is a valuable collection of sounds and tutorials that are expertly coordinated with the book's text."--Michael Pastore, Epublishers Weekly
From the Back Cover
New to this edition:
* Learn how many Hollywood techniques--previously impractical on video--can help solve problems on smaller productions
* Expanded cookbook recipes section
* Technically updated throughout
Make your soundtracks as good as your pictures with this compendium of professional audio techniques that can be adapted to desktop post. Specializing in sound after the shoot, this book features many practical examples, cookbook recipes, and tutorials. Audio theory, when necessary, is presented in plain English with plenty of visual analogies.
FAQs, full explanations, and from-the-trenches tips address the complete range of processes from wiring and hardware to testing the final mix. The one-hour audio CD features platform-independent diagnostics, demonstrations, and tutorial tracks. Novices will learn how to improve their soundtrack--even after the actors have gone home. Experienced producers will learn how to solve technical and creative problems quickly.
You'll get recipes and step-by-step instructions on how to:
* build an efficient and reliable audio post setup
* plan and budget a good soundtrack
* get sound into your NLE without losing quality or sync
* edit voices and music
* record Foley and ADR
* find music and use it effectively
* find and create your own sound effects
* shape sounds with equalization, reverb, noise reduction, and more
* produce the final mix
* test the final product for various media
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Top Customer Reviews
I suspect we'll be purchasing it as a course text in the near future.
Expert Certified Pro Tools Instructor
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
This book is the most refreshing and informative book I have found yet. Not only does Mr. Rose get into great detail about specific techniques, but he does it in a non-application specific way. I doesn't matter if you use Pro Tools, Nuendo, Logic, or even a hardware based audio system. His tips transcend each platform and tech you how to really get something done. (as it should be)
So if you already know what a compressor, eq, etc is and how to use them, and you want to read about some suggestions on new way HOW to apply them- get this book.
Ever after 10 years, I learned some new stuff. (and was reminded of things I forgot!)
While I've got a lot of experience in broadcast, not much has been in film, and this book has helped me a great deal to expand my market. If you're into this sort of thing, you should definitely buy a copy. Brian Gilbert, [...]
As an author, I wish I could write technical information like Jay Rose.
If you are interested in improving your audio on any project, this book is worth twice the price!
Highly, highly recommended.
This book is really the second in a series of two. You should really start with "Producing Great Sound for Film and Video", also by Jay Rose and follow on with this book. Both books are now on my shelf as serious references and highly recommend working through both of them. Each book contains an audio CD as well.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Arts & Photography > Photography & Video
- Books > Children's Books > Arts, Music & Photography > Performing Arts > Film
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Movies > Direction & Production
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Movies > Video > Technical
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Television > Direction & Production
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Telecommunications > Television & Video
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Physics > Acoustics & Sound
- Books > Science & Math > Physics > Acoustics & Sound
- Books > Textbooks