Baby Sign Language Basics: Early Communication for Hearing Babies and Toddlers, Original Diaper Bag Edition Paperback – Mar 15 2004
There is a newer edition of this item:
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
"'Nurseries in Britain are about to be swept by the new craze of baby signing' The Observer, Sunday 2 March 2003; 'The practice is becoming popular among parents in America. In some states, such as Florida, it is commonplace. Now it has come to Britain, with classes and seminars being held to teach the technique. Informal mothers' groups are meeting weekly to spread the message and practice the gestures...' The Observer, Sunday 2 March 2003"
About the Author
Monta Briant, a native of San Francisco, and her husband, Paul, of Cape Town, South Africa, began signing with their daughter, Sirena, when she was six months old. The family eventually learned hundreds of signs together. Monta was so moved by the ability to communicate effectively with her then preverbal daughter that she found herself telling anyone pushing a stroller about baby sign language. In 2001, Monta, a former professional yacht captain, decided to make a permanent career change that would enable her to stay home with her daughter, so she founded Baby Sign Language Workshops. An enthusiastic speaker and self-proclaimed 'baby sign language evangelist,' Monta teaches baby sign language workshops and parent-tot signing classes throughout San Diego County. Baby Sign Language Workshops classes have been the subject of feature stories in the ' San Diego Union-Tribune' and on Fox 6 News. This is her first book.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
My then-ten-month-old daughter, Sirena, had always been easy to put to bed, so when she clung to me and cried one warm night, I wondered what could be wrong. Read the first page
Front Cover | Copyright | Table of Contents | Excerpt | Back Cover
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
>>about baby sign language
>>now you're signing
>>signing for fun
>>photographs of 60 signs
with just enough information to answer your questions. The style of writing is upbeat and enthusiastic on the topic and has some good ideas for including signing as part of your interaction with your baby, including the words (and when to sign) to several nursery rhymes which I'd forgotten. Be aware, that although this book has 333 pages, take note of the dimensions 0.98 x 4.34 x 4.30 (inches) - it's pretty small (apparently so it can fit in your diaper/nappy bag). Overall, worth the price for it's intended audience.
1. uses ASL (much better than baby signs because useful throughout babies life)
2. excellent content, well written, easy to read (i think it even has more content than Garcia's book).
3. dictionary has 60 useful ASL signs
1. Very Small, tiny book! (though it is packed with information!)
2. Does not give signs in books content (you have to go to dictionary in back to see how to do the sign).
Easy & quick to read. Explains why & how to use sign language.
We recommend it to all new parents!
The back of the book has some pictures of basic signs, but I wished there would be more. There was a whole much of "animal" signs, good to know, but not as useful. Like it would be better if they had like "cheese", "potty", "pacifier", etc.
The book is smaller than expected, but not too big of an issue for me.
Most recent customer reviews
Has helped immensely with communicating with my children as well as the ones I take care of. Big help for anyone struggling with understanding what their child wants to say!Published 22 months ago by Jody
It feels like a google search could have told me as much as this book did. I still use it though. And am excited for her to sign back to me.Published on June 5 2013 by Lucky Nut
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business & Investing > Skills > Communications
- Books > Crafts, Hobbies & Home > How-to & Home Improvements
- Books > Education & Reference > Foreign Language Study & Reference > Instruction > Sign Language
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Personal Health > Women's Health > Pregnancy & Childbirth
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Psychology & Counseling > By Topic > Nonverbal Communication
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Psychology & Counseling > Developmental Psychology
- Books > Parenting & Relationships > Parenting > Babies & Toddlers
- Books > Parenting & Relationships > Pregnancy & Childbirth