Master bleeding edge wireless testing techniques with BackTrack 5.
- Learn Wireless Penetration Testing with the most recent version of Backtrack
- The first and only book that covers wireless testing with BackTrack
- Concepts explained with step-by-step practical sessions and rich illustrations
- Written by Vivek Ramachandran - world renowned security research and evangelist, and discoverer of the wireless "Caffe Latte Attack"
Wireless has become ubiquitous in today's world. The mobility and flexibility provided by it makes our lives more comfortable and productive. But this comes at a cost - Wireless technologies are inherently insecure and can be easily broken. BackTrack is a penetration testing and security auditing distribution that comes with a myriad of wireless networking tools used to simulate network attacks and detect security loopholes.
Backtrack 5 Wireless Penetration Testing Beginner's Guide will take you through the journey of becoming a Wireless hacker. You will learn various wireless testing methodologies taught using live examples, which you will implement throughout this book. The engaging practical sessions very gradually grow in complexity giving you enough time to ramp up before you get to advanced wireless attacks.
This book will take you through the basic concepts in Wireless and creating a lab environment for your experiments to the business of different lab sessions in wireless security basics, slowly turn on the heat and move to more complicated scenarios, and finally end your journey by conducting bleeding edge wireless attacks in your lab.
There are many interesting and new things that you will learn in this book - War Driving, WLAN packet sniffing, Network Scanning, Circumventing hidden SSIDs and MAC filters, bypassing Shared Authentication, Cracking WEP and WPA/WPA2 encryption, Access Point MAC spoofing, Rogue Devices, Evil Twins, Denial of Service attacks, Viral SSIDs, Honeypot and Hotspot attacks, Caffe Latte WEP Attack, Man-in-the-Middle attacks, Evading Wireless Intrusion Prevention systems and a bunch of other cutting edge wireless attacks.
If you were ever curious about what wireless security and hacking was all about, then this book will get you started by providing you with the knowledge and practical know-how to become a wireless hacker.
Hands-on practical guide with a step-by-step approach to help you get started immediately with Wireless Penetration Testing
What you will learn from this book
- Create a Wireless Lab for conducting experiments
- Monitor the air and sniff wireless packets
- Bypass WLAN authentication mechanism
- Crack WEP/WPA/WPA2 encryption mechanisms
- Break into a WLAN network using infrastructure flaws
- Break into a Wireless client such as a laptop
- Advanced attacks such as Man-in-the-Middle attacks and Evading WIPS
- Conduct wireless penetration test in a methodical way
Written in Packt's Beginner's Guide format, you can easily grasp the concepts and understand the techniques to perform wireless attacks in your lab. Every new attack is described in the form of a lab exercise with rich illustrations of all the steps associated. You will practically implement various attacks as you go along.
Who this book is written for
If you are an IT security professional or a security consultant who wants to get started with wireless testing with Backtrack, or just plain inquisitive about wireless security and hacking, then this book is for you. The book assumes that you have familiarity with Backtrack and basic wireless concepts.