From the Back Cover
The Best Breakfast You'll Ever Eat, Courtesy of Your Backyard Animals:
- Gather fresh eggs for fluffy omelets.
- Stuff homemade sausages with meat.
- Fill your omelet with tangy, creamy cheese.
- Stir sweet honey into tea or coffee.
- Fry a steak or bacon as a savory side.
- Top off your meal with a cold glass of milk.
Breakfast isn't the only meal you'll enjoy from your backyard farm...
Imagine the satisfaction of feeding your family wholesome eggs, milk, meat, and honey produced by animals raised organically and humanely in your backyard. On as little land as one-tenth of an acre, you can raise healthy, productive barnyard animals and take a big step toward food independence.
Learn how to:
- Raise chickens in brooder boxes
- Determine the freshness of eggs hidden in the backyard
- Roast a duck or goose to perfection
- Make goat-milk yogurt
- Interpret everyday sheep behavior
- Harvest honey
- Raise your own Thanksgiving turkey
- Manage your beef cattle to produce the best-tasting meat
Includes Full-Color at-a-Glance Breed Guide
The animal-raising companion to The Backyard Homestead.
About the Author
Gail Damerow, author of The Chicken Health Handbook, 2nd Edition, has written extensively on raising chickens and other livestock, growing fruits and vegetables, and related rural know-how in more than a dozen country skills how-to books, including the best-selling Storey’s Guide to Raising Chickens, The Chicken Encyclopedia, and Hatching and Brooding Your Own Chicks. Damerow is a regular contributor to Backyard Poultry and Countryside magazines. She lives in Tennessee with her husband, where they operate a family farm with poultry and dairy goats, a sizable garden, and a small orchard.