- Audio CD (Nov. 13 2001)
- Number of Discs: 1
- Format: Best of
- Label: Reprise
- ASIN: B00005R1Q8
- Average Customer Review: 4.7 out of 5 stars See all reviews (75 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #9,422 in Music (See Top 100 in Music)
|1. The Old Apartment|
|2. Falling for the First Time|
|3. Brian Wilson|
|4. One Week|
|5. Be My Yoko Ono|
|6. Alternative Girlfriend|
|7. It's Only Me (The Wizard of Magicland)|
|8. If I Had $1000000|
|9. Call and Answer|
|10. Get in Line|
|11. It's All Been Done|
|13. Lovers in a Dangerous Time|
|14. Pinch Me|
|16. What a Good Boy|
|17. Too Little Too Late|
|19. Thanks That Was Fun|
author of "A Young Girl's Crimes"
I put this album into my CD player (well, usually my iPod) when I want to be in a good mood. There is simply no resisting the toe-tapping goodness of 'Alternative Girlfriend' and their early hit 'If I had $1,000,000'. 'Jane' and the cover of 'Lovers in a Dangerous Time' prove that the Barenaked Ladies aren't just funny, but can weave a tight song comprised of excellent vocals and a strong band.
Even if this is the only Barenaked Ladies album that you'll ever own, go see their live concerts. A concert with them is not to be missed. They add hilarious improvs, do impromptu covers of any artist under the sun, and comfortably chat with the audience.
The Ladies are very funny, a little strange, and very smart. The lyrics are never cheap, and you'll find yourself catching more and more in the songs, the more you listen. The songs on this CD range from the more "made for radio air-time" hits like 'One Week' and 'It's All Been Done' to the sadder 'Call and Answer' and 'What a Good Boy'. They even sing love songs...of a sort. What girl wouldn't want to be a guy's Yoko Ono? Right....don't answer that.
The point is, this CD is the perfect soundtrack for a cynical but hopeful generation of kooks. It has a place of honor in my CD collection, and never gets old or fails to cheer me up.
1) The Old Apartment: A great song that hasn't gotten the attention it deserves. This is one of my favourites on the CD.
2) Falling for the first time: An upbeat, catchy song about a guy who realizes the joy in failing.
3) Brian Wilson: A truly great song that was the first BNL song I ever heard. Once I heard the first chorus, I was hooked.
4) One Week: A catchy song with a bit of rap, I think this song is great. It's one of my favourites.
5) Be My Yoko Ono: For some reason, I don't care for this song much. It's a decent song that gets annoying after awhile.
6) Alternative Girlfriend: A reasonably good track, Alternative girlfriend has a nice beat that I never get tired of.
7) It's Only Me (The Wizard of Magicland): One of the two previously unreleased tracks, I like this song because of it's hilarious lyrics and catchy beat.
8) If I had $1 000 000: This is my favourite Barenaked Ladies song so far. This song never gets boring.
9) Call and Answer: A ballad with heartfelt lyrics that I enjoy very much.
10) Get In Line: I have to say, this track stretches the definition of 'Greatest Hits.' I usually skip this song.
11) It's All Been Done: A very fun song to sing, especially the "Woo hoo hoo" chorus.
12) Jane: This a slower song, but it's a very good one and I like the lyrics.Read more ›