From the Back Cover
The 2013 edition of the New York Times bestselling guide
"The tip of the nerd spear."
Now in its 18th edition, the Baseball Prospectus annual shows once again how it became the industry leader: The 2013 edition includes key stat categories, more controversial player predictions, and the kind of wise, witty baseball commentary that makes this phone-book-thick tome worth reading cover to cover.
Baseball Prospectus 2013 provides fantasy players and insiders alike with uncannily prescient PECOTA projections, which Sports Illustrated has called "perhaps the game's most accurate projection model." Still, stats are just numbers if you don't see the larger context, and Baseball ProspectusNearly every major-league team has sought the advice of current or former Prospectus writers, and readers of Baseball Prospectus 2013 will understand what all those fans have been raving about.
"If you're a baseball fan and you don't know what BP is, you're working in a mine without one of those helmets with the lights on it."
"Baseball Prospectus has become the standard by which all scouting guides should be measured."
Billy Beane, General Manager, Oakland A's
"For me, every year baseball begins with the big, brilliant, beautiful book you are holding in your hands right now."
Baseball Prospectus 2012 correctly predicted:
- Disappointing performances from Alex Avila, Jose Bautista, Josh Beckett, Jacoby Ellsbury, Jeff Francoeur, Derek Holland, and Justin Masterson
- Better than commonly expected numbers out of Adam Dunn, Jason Heyward, Hiroki Kuroda, Jake Peavy, Buster Posey, and David Wright
- That the Washington Nationals were no longer a rebuilding sub-.500 team, and were ready to make the postseason starting in 2012
- A first-place finish for Cincinnati, with the Cards and Brewers losing their big bats
- That one season of big spending on free agents and a new ballpark might not be enough to completely turn around horrible attendance numbers in Miami
Baseball Prospectus is America's leading provider of statistics-informed scouting and analysis for baseball, combining entertaining commentary and accurate forecasting via books, blogs, articles, and a website.