- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Becoming a Technical Leader: An Organic Problem-Solving Approach Paperback – Sep 1986
|New from||Used from|
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
"...extremely practical and down-to-earth...." -- CAUSE/Effect
"it is filled with useful insights into personal growth as a professional." -- Journal of Systems Management
Top Customer Reviews
While reading this book, I had several major realizations about work relationships, why people react they way that they do, and how to motivate them. The title of the book uses the term "Organic" to describe this process, and it is a very valid claim because many of the leadership qualities are not masks that you put on or tricks that you acquire. Instead, they are internal realizations and shedding of misconceptions and assumptions that currently prevent you from being an effective leader. Cathartic in a self-help kind-of a way.
This is highly recommended reading for technical folks in leadership positions, or those who are looking to become technical leaders. Weinberg includes many stories and examples which carify each chapter. The book is a very easy read.
It's a short book, but the material is high-density. Questions after each chapter are perhaps as important as the chapters themselves. The way the book is structured, you can treat it like a course material. In fact, it requires action on your part.
I'd sum up the book using the concepts from one of the last chapters:
Leaders are graded not by adding all the qualities together, but by multiplying. For example: 20% interpersonal skills * 80% technical = 16% total, not 100% and not 50%.
While a light read, I couldn't help coming away from this book feeling that it was longer than it needed to be -- the information density isn't terribly high. A few of the pseudo-graphs that appeared in the book also seemed to have mislabeled axes, though that may have been corrected in subsequent editions.
is based. I number him among my most valued friends. Our
friendship began in that workshop. If you take the approach to
leadership that this book explains you'll be the kind of leader
that almost anyone would willingly follow, and with good reason.
I'm still trying to assimilate the thousands of tasty bits of
wisdom it contains. Jerry already has. He's been there and back
again, and has buried many of the jewels he discovered on his
journey in this book. BUY IT.
Most recent customer reviews
Very practical and informative and I use it as reading for my course.Published 9 months ago by Lea Johnson
This book is a must for any technical leader in the becoming. Even though the book is a bit old, the text is superbly written and really reaches out to people that need to solve... Read morePublished 20 months ago by Andre Caron
This is a classical book on technical leadership. It discusses various styles of leaderships and focuses on what technical leadership is, and, very importantly, is not. Read morePublished 23 months ago by Leonid Finis
I recommend this book to almost everyone I know. In addition to talking about management, Weinberg makes clear that anyone can lead, regardless of their official role. Read morePublished on Dec 21 2002 by Steve Berczuk
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business & Investing > Job Hunting & Careers > Vocational Guidance
- Books > Business & Investing > Management & Leadership > Leadership
- Books > Business & Investing > Management & Leadership > Management
- Books > Business & Investing > Skills > Training
- Books > Business & Investing > Small Business & Entrepreneurship > Entrepreneurship
- Books > Professional & Technical > Business Management > Management & Leadership > Leadership
- Books > Professional & Technical > Business Management > Management & Leadership > Management
- Books > Professional & Technical > Business Management > Management & Leadership > Training
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Business & Investing
- Books > Textbooks > Business & Finance > Business Development
- Books > Textbooks > Business & Finance > Economics
- Books > Textbooks > Business & Finance > Enterpeneurship
- Books > Textbooks > Business & Finance > Management