These two masterworks are spectacularly performed by a world-class orchestra under the leadership of one of the greatest living conductors. With respect to interpretation, precision, and passion, I have nothing but praise to offer. From a technical perspective, the sound quality is also exquisite. Thus, the 5-star rating.
Having said all that, however, I would like to mention one pet peeve. And this applies to pretty much every classical DVD I have ever seen. My complaint is, there are many moments when the camera work could / should be better orchestrated. Obviously performance and sound quality are far more important, nevertheless part of the thrill and joy of seeing a live performance in person or on DVD is the visual effect and excitement. Frankly (and no offense to Abbado or any conductor), I don't want to see a close up of the conductor's face while the violins are sawing away 9,000 miles an hour at one of the climactic moments of the Eroica symphony!
Don't get me wrong, MOST of the camerawork is appropriate; the onscreen action follows nicely from soloist to soloist, section to section, a good 80% of the time. But for the other 20% I want to scream at the TV, "For crying out loud, get off the bassoons while the cellos clearly have the foreground material and are throwing off sparks in their delivery!"
Again though, this is a complaint of mine for every classical DVD I've seen. It's definitely very easy to forgive this comparatively minor defect when the performance is utterly exquisite.
Long story made short, buy this DVD! I haven't purchased the others in the series yet but plan to very soon.