- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
|New from||Used from|
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
Learn to create attractive web sites that are easy to use
- How to create HTML and XHTML pages that incorporate links, images, tables, audio, and video
- Ways to use CSS to control text, colors, backgrounds, and page layout
- Design principles employed by experienced designers to create attractive layouts
- How to build sites that are accessible, easy to use, and will work on a variety of devices including mobile phones
- How to test your web site and put it on the web
- First-hand experience of coding practices commonly used in the real world
- The elements of basic text formatting
- Text markup and character entities for special characters
Join our Programmer to Programmer forums to ask and answer programming questions about this book, join discussions on the hottest topics in the industry, and connect with fellow programmers from around the world.
Take advantage of free code samples from this book, as well as code samples from hundreds of other books, all ready to use.
Find articles, ebooks, sample chapters and tables of contents for hundreds of books, and more reference resources on programming topics that matter to you.
Wrox Beginning guides are crafted to make learning programming languages and technologies easier than you think, providing a structured, tutorial format that will guide you through all the techniques involved.
About the Author
Jon Duckett has spent over a decade helping a wide range of companies implement innovative web strategies. Taking a hands-on approach, he designs many of the projects he works on and helps to code them. During this time, Jon has written several books covering web design, programming, accessibility and usability.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
There is, however, one huge and frustrating drawback. Either in the book or in the code that can be downloaded in tandem with the text, there are just too many careless errors and discrepancies. One can almost count on any exercise or example's having at least one misleading mistake. Many errors are just obvious looking at material on the printed page (as just typical examples: Why would there be two "TO:" boxes on an e-mail form? see page 212; why isn't there a "<" to start the first line of code on page 233?).
This is a text that has been through a number of editions; in light of that legacy, to find so many errata in a text for beginners is frustrating. It does not speak well of the editing precisions one would think a publisher seemingly as authoritative as Wrox would exercise.
My problem comes from the "Example Cafe" website, which is the website you build and add to throughout the book. The code examples found on the publisher's website seem like they were made out of sync with the the book itself. A lot of examples include code never explained or shown before, code that's just plain wrong as well as things implemented but never requested from the website. I don't copy and paste, so these errors aggravate me. I almost spend as much time breaking down the example code and figuring out where the editors messed up as I am actually implementing features into my practice site. It's annoying and frustrating.
As a reference, very well structured and explained. As an exercise resource, aggravating and not worth using.
(NOTE: This book does NOT go over HTML5 or CSS3)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming > Introductory & Beginning
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming > Languages & Tools
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming > Software Design, Testing & Engineering > Software Development
- Books > Computers & Technology > Software
- Books > Computers & Technology > Web Development > Programming > CSS
- Books > Computers & Technology > Web Development > Programming > XHTML
- Books > Textbooks