- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Beginning Joomla! Web Site Development Paperback – Apr 6 2009
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
Since its release in 2005, Joomla! has become one of the most popular open-source content management systems in the world. It is used by millions of people to build and maintain professional, easy-to-manage sites. Written with an approachable and informative writing style, this hands-on book introduces you to Joomla! and gets you started with using this powerful, versatile tool for developing and managing Web sites.
Joomla! guru Cory Webb teaches you the concepts that every beginner should know. He walks you through the process of building a Web site with Joomla! and reinforces the topics discussed throughout the chapters with real-world examples. You'll gain a clear understanding of Joomla! and learn how to get things done within the Joomla! framework. Using this book, you will be able to harness the power of Joomla! to accomplish the goals you want to achieve with your Web site.
What you will learn from this book
- How to understand and use the language and jargon of Joomla!
- How to extend Joomla!'s functionality (components, modules, plugins, templates, and languages
- What concepts are involved in building custom Joomla! templates
- How to set up sections, categories, and articles
- Ways to test your site and troubleshoot issues that may arise
- Tips and tricks for achieving non-standard functionality in Joomla!
Who this book is for
This book is for anyone interested in using Joomla! to build a Web site.
Updates, source code, and Wrox technical support at www.wrox.com
About the Author
Cory Webb is a web designer and developer and the owner of CoryWebbMedia, LLC, where he specializes in building web sites with the premier content management system (CMS), Joomla!. He is perhaps best known for his instructional site, HowToJoomla.net, where he shares his insights and experiences through tips and tricks for beginning Joomla! users. Since the inception of HowToJoomla.net, he has written dozens of articles that have been well received by the Joomla! community. He has received numerous accolades such as "Sweet Jesus, thank you! I spent a day and a half looking for this bit of code! You’ve saved my sanity!" and "Thank You! I REALLY needed this solution!" He began working with Joomla!’s predecessor, Mambo, in 2003 when he was given the task of building a web site for his employer. After an exhaustive search for the right CMS, he found Mambo and never looked back. In May 2006, Cory started working part-time as a freelance developer for JoomlaShack.com. In February 2008, he parlayed that freelance work into a full-time career as the founder of Cory Webb Media, LLC.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Other Joomla books lose my attention too quickly because they either teach you the skills through lengthy exercises or through multiple paragraphs-worth of details. Cory does a good job of laying out practical advice and straight-forward techniques that are considered best practices for anyone who utilizes Joomla professionally or as a hobby.
This book won't replace the Joomla API manuals sitting on my shelf, but I have dog-eared and highlighted more in this book than in any other Joomla book I own. It has really helped me round out my knowledge of the 'little things' about Joomla and has helped explain some of the Joomla quirks I've always wondered about. It is highly recommended for new and advanced Joomla users alike.
One of the problems with Joomla is that it isn't the most intuitive CMS. This book gets you up and running quickly with easy to follow steps.
Take in mind that this book isn't super deep. It is just enough to get you up and running quickly. If you are looking to get deeper, I suggest that you may want to check out "Professional Joomla!" by Dan Rahmel.
If you want to get into using Joomla quickly, then check out this book!
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computers & Technology > Graphic Design
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming > Graphics & Multimedia
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming > Software Design, Testing & Engineering > Software Development
- Books > Computers & Technology > Software
- Books > Computers & Technology > Web Development > Programming
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems