“…covers everything to get you going…definitely worth a look…” (OracleHome
, 3 August 2005)
From the Back Cover
PHP, Apache, and MySQL are the three key open source technologies that form the basis for most active Web servers. This new edition guides you through the entire process of setting up your own site and walks you through every step, from the installation of PHP, Apache, and MySQL to database management, security, and integration with other technologies.
Featuring new information on the features and functions of the latest upgrades—MySQL 4.0.X, PHP5, and Apache 2.0—this book boasts a working Web site application and numerous updates throughout the text. The multi-platform approach addresses installation and usage on both Linux® and Windows®, and two common-themed, reusable Web sites are examined. Upon completion of this book, you'll be able to create well designed, dynamic Web sites using open source tools.
What you will learn from this book
- Syntax, functions, and commands of PHP, Apache, and MySQL and how they can be used together in Web development
- The ins and outs of data manipulation
- The object-oriented programming advantages of PHP5
- Ways of using PHP for connecting HTML-based Web pages to a backend database for dynamic content
- How MySQL easily stores, updates, and accesses information
Who this book is for
This book is for beginners who are new to PHP and who need to learn quickly how to create Web sites using open source tools. Some basic HTML knowledge is helpful but not essential.