From the Back Cover
Ruby on Rails is the revolutionary online programming tool that makes creating functional e-commerce web sites faster and easier than ever. With the intuitive, straightforward nature of Ruby and the development platform provided by Rails, you can put together full-fledged web applications quickly, even if you're new to web programming.
You will find a thorough introduction to both Ruby and Rails in this book. You'll get the easy instructions for acquiring and installing both; understand the nature of conditionals, loops, methods, and blocks; and become familiar with Ruby's classes and objects. You'll learn to build Rails applications, connect to databases, perform necessary testing, and put the whole thing together to create real-world applications such as shopping carts and online catalogs—apps you can actually use right away.
What you will learn from this book
- How to install and use Ruby and Rails
- Object-oriented programming with Ruby
- Rails fundamentals and how to create basic online applications
- How to work with HTML controls, use models in Rails applications, and work with sessions
- Details on working with databases and creating, editing, and deleting database records
- Methods for handling cookies and filters and for caching pages
- How to connect Rails with Ajax
Who this book is for
This book is for anyone who wants to develop online applications using Ruby and Rails. A basic understanding of programming is helpful; some knowledge of HTML is necessary.
Wrox Beginning guides are crafted to make learning programming languages and technologies easier than you think, providing a structured, tutorial format that will guide you through all the techniques involved.
About the Author
is the award-winning author of more than 100 programming books. He’s been involved in Ruby on Rails for a long time, and does commercial Rails development. He’s also been on the faculty of Cornell University and MIT, as well as having been a contributing editor for PC Magazine