- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Beginning SQL Server 2005 Administration Paperback – Nov 29 2006
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
For the first time, SQL Server 2005 provides features that can support large-scale enterprise databases. With this powerful new release, you may find yourself being called upon to perform duties that are no longer strictly "administrative," duties that have become much more complicated and difficult. With that in mind, a team of experienced Microsoft Certified Professionals provides you with the necessary information to be a more competent and successful database developer or administrator.
Beginning with a foundation that features detailed coverage of typical administrative duties, the authors proceed to explain how to build complex data transformations for data import, build distributed data solutions, and maintain the security and integrity of the database. You will be able to apply what you learn to real-world scenarios, and smoothly navigate the vastly changed landscape of SQL Server 2005 administration.
What you will learn from this book
- How to install, maintain, and manage an SQL Server 2005 installation, including high availability and security considerations
- Various features such as the Common Language Runtime, SQL Server Integration Services, Notification Service, and the Service Broker
- How to use the tools that are necessary to manage configuration, backups, restores, security, availability, performance, and monitoring
- A sampling of some of the more advanced areas and complex jobs of the broadening role of a database administrator in the enterprise
Who this book is for
This book is for both developers and administrators who are responsible for the management and maintenance of an SQL Server 2005 database. Familiarity with relational database concepts and SQL is assumed.
Wrox Beginning guides are crafted to make learning programming languages and technologies easier than you think, providing a structured, tutorial format that will guide you through all the techniques involved.
Enhance Your Knowledge Advance Your Career
About the Author
Dan Wood (Silverdale, WA) is an Operations Manager and DBA, Microsoft SQL Server Specialist and Trainer for Netdesk Corporation, a Microsoft Gold Certified Partner for Learning Solutions. Dan has been a Microsoft Certified Professional and Trainer since 1999; he is co-author of Beginning Transact-SQL from WROX.
Chris Leiter (Kent, WA) is a Trainer for Netdesk Corporation. Chris’s role at Netdesk is focused on Systems Administration and Security. Chris has been a Microsoft Certified Professional since 1997, and a Trainer since 2001.
Paul Turley (Seattle, WA) is a Senior Consultant for Hitachi Consulting, where he architects and develops database systems. He has been a Microsoft Certified Professional and Trainer since 1996, and lead author of Beginning Transact-SQL With SQL Server 2000 and 2005, Professional SQL Server Reporting Services (1st and 2nd editions), and other Wrox database titles.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
I especially enjoyed the explanation of the storage engine. It made things clear to me that I didn't understand previously.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computers & Technology > Databases > Beginning & Introductory
- Books > Computers & Technology > Databases > Database Management Systems
- Books > Computers & Technology > Software
- Books > Computers & Technology > Web Development > Programming > SQL
- Books > Deals in Books
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Database Storage & Design