Are you a programmer looking for a new challenge? Does the thought of building your very own iPhone app make your heart race and your pulse quicken? If so, this brand new edition of the bestselling Beginning iPhone 3 Development is just the book for you.
Updated from the ground up for Apple’s latest development tool set, Xcode 4, and for the iOS 4 SDK, many of the discussions in the original book have been clarified to make some of the more complex topics easier to understand. In addition, all of the projects have been rebuilt from scratch using the Xcode 4 templates.
Assuming only a minimal working knowledge of Objective-C, and written in a friendly, easy-to-follow style, Beginning iPhone 4 Development: Exploring the iOS SDK offers a complete soup-to-nuts course in iPhone and iPod touch programming. The book starts with the basics, walking you through the process of downloading and installing Apple's free iPhone SDK, and then stepping you though the creation of your first simple iPhone application. From there, you’ll learn to integrate all the interface elements iPhone users have come to know and love, such as buttons, switches, pickers, toolbars, and sliders. You’ll master a variety of design patterns, from the simplest single view to complex hierarchical drill-downs. The confusing art of table building will be demystified, and you’ll see how to save your data using the iPhone file system. You’ll also learn how to save and retrieve your data using SQLite, iPhone’s built-in database management system. In addition, you’ll also learn about Core Data, an important persistence mechanism that has just been added with SDK 3.
And there’s much more! You’ll learn to draw using Quartz 2D and OpenGL ES, add multitouch gestural support (pinches and swipes) to your applications, and work with the camera, photo library, accelerometer, and built-in GPS. You’ll discover the fine points of application preferences and learn how to localize your apps for multiple languages.
- The iPhone 4 update to the best-selling and most recommended book for Cocoa touch developers
- Packed full of tricks, techniques, and enthusiasm for the new SDK from a developer perspective
- Written in an accessible, easy-to-follow style
What you'll learn
- Everything you need to know to develop your own best-selling iPhone and iPad apps
- Best practices for optimizing your code and delivering great user experiences
- How to create “universal” apps for both iPhone and iPad
Who this book is for
Anyone who wants to start developing for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Table of Contents
- Welcome to the Jungle
- Appeasing the Tiki Gods
- Handling Basic Interaction
- More User Interface Fun
- Autorotation and Autosizing
- Multiview Applications
- Tab Bars and Pickers
- Introduction to Table Views
- Navigation Controllers and Table Views
- iPad Interface
- Application Settings and User Defaults
- Basic Data Persistence
- Background Processing
- Drawing with Quartz and OpenGL
- Taps, Touches, and Gestures
- Where Am I? Finding Your Way with Core Location
- Whee! Gyro and Accelerometer!
- iPhone Camera and Photo Library
- Application Localization
- Where to Next?