500 Best Healthy Recipes Paperback – Mar 6 2004
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
About the Author
Lynn Roblin, MSc, RD, was a public health nutritionist for many years and is now in demand as a nutrition expert and writer.
Excerpt. © Reprinted by permission. All rights reserved.
10 best strategies for healthy eating
- Eat a variety of foods.
- Pay attention to portion sizes; use those recommended in the food guide to control the amount of food and calories you consume.
- Eat more whole grains such as whole-wheat, bran and oat breads and cereals, whole-wheat pasta and brown rice to increase the fiber in your diet.
- Include a variety of vegetables and fruits, especially dark red, orange and green varieties, to get more antioxidant nutrients like beta carotene and lycopene.
- Have fruit or vegetable more often that their juice to control calories and get more fiber.
- Keep your meals moderate in total fat and low in saturated and trans fats to promote a healthy heart by eating low-fat dairy products, lean meats and foods prepared without added fat.
- Balance the amount of food you eat with the amount of physical activity you do to maintain or improve your weight.
- Limit your consumption of salty foods to keep your blood pressure in a healthy range.
- If you drink alcohol, have it moderate amounts, which may help promote a healthy heart (1 drink a day for women, 2 drinks a day for men) or eliminate it altogether, as too much alcohol is linked with liver disease and increased rates of breast cancer in women.
- Cut back on high-caffeine beverages, which may interfere with bone health and are dehydrating.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Everything else is excellent and I have made several things more than once. I'm not afraid to try any of these recipes with that track record.
Even the deserts I've tried have been good!
The beginning of the book gives a run down of healthy eating tips and info, and making good eating choices. It also gives definitions and explanations of the different nutrients found in healthy foods.
All in all, if you're looking for a basic book with simple, easy to follow healthy recipes, this pretty much fits the bill. It contains recipes for just about everything, and is indexed for quick look up.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Bargain Books > Cooking, Food & Wine
- Books > Bargain Books > General
- Books > Bargain Books > Health, Mind & Body > General
- Books > Bargain Books > Health, Mind & Body > Nutrition
- Books > Bargain Books > Health, Mind & Body > Personal Health
- Books > Cookbooks, Food & Wine > Natural Foods
- Books > Cookbooks, Food & Wine > Special Diet > Healthy
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Diets & Weight Loss > Diets > Weight Loss
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Nutrition > Healthy Cooking
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Personal Health > Healthy Living
- Books > Parenting & Relationships > Family Health