Between Understanding and Trust: The Public, Science and Technology Hardcover – Jan 1 2000
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
Between Understanding and Trust gives an excellent overview of the wide range of unresolved questions arising in the context of public understanding of and attitudes toward science. It should prevent scientists and-of even greater importance-politicians from espousing the usual simplifications about globalisation and international competition.
Professor Martin Pfaff of Member of the Deutsche Bundestag and Director of the International Institute for Empirical Social Economics, Stadtbergen, Germany
Between Understanding and Trust is an informed and highly informative guide into a rapidly growing field of research-the outcome of which will certainly shape the twenty-first century view of science and technology.
Professor Helga Nowotny of Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Zurich, Switzerland
For both new researchers and those already working in the field, Between Understanding and Trust provides a much needed guide to the current state of the subject.
Professor Richard Topf of Director of the Centre for Comparative European Survey Data, Oxford, UK
This is a welcome book. The issues of public understanding of science opens many questions. What does understanding mean? How does understanding translate into attitudes toward science and trust in scientists? What is the role of the mass media? The essays in this book shed light on such questions bringing insights from several disciplines. They help to define a meaningful research agenda for the future.
Professor Dorothy Nelkin of New York University, New York
This publication is timely, well-balanced, critical and constructive, and constitutes a turning point in the continuing interaction between the public, science and technology. This is stimulating reading for all those who are involved in science and technology policy and its implications and consequences.
Professor Paolo Fasella of Ministero dell'Universita e della Ricerca Scientifica e Tecnologica, Rome, Italy and former director of the Directorate General XII Science, Research and Development of the
Inside This Book(Learn More)
It has become routine in the 20th century to encounter science alongside politics, sports, and other focal points of news in newspapers, magazines, radio programs, and television broadcasts. Read the first page
Front Cover | Copyright | Table of Contents | Excerpt | Index
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Philosophy
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Politics
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Sociology > Culture
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Sociology > Social Theory
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Reference
- Books > Science & Math > History & Philosophy > History of Science
- Books > Science & Math > History & Philosophy > History of Technology
- Books > Science & Math > Mathematics
- Books > Science & Math > Reference > Engineering
- Books > Science & Math > Technology > Social Aspects
- Books > Science & Math > Technology > Technology & Society
- Books > Textbooks > Sciences
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences > Political Science
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences > Sociology