Beyond Measure: Modern Physics, Philosophy and the Meaning of Quantum Theory Paperback – Nov 14 2003
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
`... brings the reader up to date with the results of experimental tests.' CERN Courier
From the Publisher
numerous figuresSee all Product Description
Inside This Book(Learn More)
A scientist in the late nineteenth century could be forgiven for believing that the major elements of physics were built on unshakeable foundations and effectively established for all time. Read the first page
Front Cover | Copyright | Table of Contents | Excerpt | Index | Back Cover
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
The book is written very thoroughly. Mathematically challenged readers will miss a lot of "action" but they will not encounter wrong, watered-down, or superficial statements. (I did notice 1-2 examples, where the author used the term "entangled states" incorrectly IMHO. However, these looked more like typos, and the correct meaning was clear from the context).
The Appendixes are the real treat, since they provide almost "the royal road" to gold nuggets, nuggets normally dispersed through several modern courses in quantum measurements and related questions.
The book also discusses a number of relevant philosophical questions and does it much better (I think) than most of those professional philosophers, who forgot to learn quantum mechanics before teaching is what "it really means".
I know the only book which comes close - the predecessor to this book by the same author - "The Meaning of Quantum Theory".
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Chemistry > Organic
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Chemistry > Physical & Theoretical
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Physics > Quantum Theory
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Humanities
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Science
- Books > Science & Math > Chemistry > Organic
- Books > Science & Math > Chemistry > Physical & Theoretical > Quantum Chemistry
- Books > Science & Math > Mathematics
- Books > Science & Math > Physics > Quantum Theory
- Books > Textbooks > Sciences > Chemistry