- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Biometrics: Identity Verification in a Networked World Paperback – Apr 4 2002
|New from||Used from|
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
“…particularly relevant…questions are raised and useful answers given…the material is extensive…substantial and well-researched material…” (Computer Bulletin, May 2003)
From the Back Cover
An in-depth look at biometrics, focused on critical issues such as accuracy, privacy, technology capabilities, and cost-effective deployment
No longer a science fiction solution, biometric technologies are being deployed by thousands of companies and public agencies to increase security, protect personal information, and reduce fraud. Along with this broad-scale deployment comes a wide range of critical issues, including privacy risks, secure biometric system design, and the strengths and weaknesses of leading technologies such as finger-scan, iris-scan, facial-scan, voice-scan, and signature-scan. A full understanding of the biometric technologies, applications, and markets is required for successful utilization of biometrics in today's enterprise environment.
Written by leading industry authorities, this book provides you with everything you need to know about the technology, the industry, the applications, and the challenges that define biometrics today. It explains why institutions are turning to biometrics to authenticate employees, customers, and citizens in mission-critical applications. It also provides a broad conceptual understanding of the technology, explains specialized terms and concepts, and concludes with an analysis of the factors you must consider when designing, deploying, and maintaining biometric systems.
Reviewing large-scale project examples, the authors:
* Discuss the metrics used to determine how well biometric systems operate
* Define how biometric deployments can be privacy-enhancing or privacy-invasive
* Dispel various myths and misunderstandings surrounding biometric technology
* Address topics such as system com-ponents, data acquisition, template generation and matching, and typical deployments for each biometric technology
Wiley Tech Briefs
Focused on the needs of the corporate IT and business manager, the Tech Briefs series provides in-depth information on new or emerging technologies, solutions, and vendor offerings available in the marketplace.
With their accessible approach, these books will help you get quickly up-to-speed on a topic so that you can effectively compete, grow, and better serve your customers.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Biometric technology is used for dozens of types of applications, ranging from modest (providing time and attendance functionality for a small company) to expansive (ensuring the integrity of a 10 million-person voter registration database). Read the first page
Front Cover | Copyright | Table of Contents | Excerpt | Index | Back Cover
Top Customer Reviews
The Wiley Tech Brief Biometrics: Identity Verification in a Networked World is an in-depth (but not too overbearing) and effective introduction to biometrics The book gives the reader a solid base on what they need to know about the technology, the biometric industry and the many challenges involved with implementing a biometric solution.
The book is an in-depth look at biometrics, focused on critical issues such as accuracy, privacy, technology capabilities, and cost-effective deployment. The book shows why organizations are looking at biometrics for user and consumer authentication. The book provides a broad conceptual understanding biometrics, and ends with a look at the factors involved when designing and deploying biometric-based systems.
In particular, it includes many references to real world initiatives and presents perspectives on the emerging shape of the biometric industry that only seasoned professionals could provide.
It addresses what has been a very complex and fragmented industry in a very readable and satisfying way and will be of immense benefit to anyone associated with biometric deployment in the public or private sectors.
A "must have" for anyone interested in biometrics.
This book is written for IT novices. It is NOT written for engineers. People that are interested in deeply technical descriptions of how the technologies work will be disappointed by this book. It is as simple as that.
Most recent customer reviews
This book takes a very complex subject and makes it easy to understand. It provides a solid understanding of the various biometric technologies, how well they work, and how they... Read morePublished on Oct. 22 2003
The guys from IBG (International Biometrics Group) did their best to create an introduction to biometrics and their applications.
I'd say they did a reasonable job. Read more
This books is for IT novices. It is NOT for engineers. If you want a book that gives a high level overview, this book is OK for that. Read morePublished on May 20 2003
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computers & Technology > Certification Central
- Books > Computers & Technology > Computer Science > Artificial Intelligence > Computer Vision & Pattern Recognition
- Books > Computers & Technology > Networking & Cloud Computing > Network Security
- Books > Computers & Technology > Networking & Cloud Computing > Networks, Protocols & APIs > Networks
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming > Algorithms > Pattern Recognition
- Books > Computers & Technology > Software
- Books > Computers & Technology > Web Development > Security & Encryption > Encryption
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Telecommunications
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Computers & Internet
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Engineering
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Science
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Social Sciences
- Books > Science & Math > Biological Sciences > Biology
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Networking
- Books > Textbooks > Sciences > Biology & Life Sciences > Biology
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences