Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Music Deals Store Fall Tools

Biostatistics for Animal Science: An Introductory Text
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$93.78+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on April 22, 2009
Attention grad students and researchers: if it's been a while since you took stats or if you are trying to wade through SAS YOU NEED TO BUY THIS BOOK!

I recently got back into doing research and was looking for a concise, reader friendly statistics reference that also eased me back into using SAS and this book has been a godsend. This book does it all.

As a grad student we were often referred to Steel and Torrie as the gold standard, but since it used plant science examples that weren't necessarily relevant to animal science. Each chapter in this book introduces a sample animal-oriented experiment/dataset and uses it throughout the chapter to illustrate statistical principles and concepts. Each chapter also provides several SAS programming examples using the same datasets.

With the push towards increased use of PROC MIXED for analysis of experiments, readers will also find in this book what I believe is the most straight-forward explanation of mixed models and why these are preferred for many animal experiments.

I predict that as this book (first edition was 2005) gains wider circulation it will replace all other statistical references on the bookshelves of animal scientists worldwide. Already at least 6 of my colleagues have purchased their own copy after borrowing mine.

If you are a grad student and are looking for an excellent reference that will get you through the stats portion of your comprehensive, get your hands on this book. I only wish it had been around when I was a grad student.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again