Bird Watching For Dummies Paperback – Oct 6 1997
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
From Library Journal
The talented staff of the popular magazine Bird Watcher's Digest wrote, edited, and illustrated this latest entry in the ubiquitous "Dummies" series, whose mock-deprecating titles attract a wide readership. Fortunately, this book, as with others of the series, is not as simplistic as its title, offering nearly 400 pages of often humorous, witty, and anecdotal but nevertheless excellent advice on a wide variety of topics: bird feeders, nest boxes, optics, field guides, birding hot spots, identification, web sites, birding festivals, plantings, et al. At times a too conceptual approach is frustrating. For example, there is plenty of information on optics and nest boxes but no details on specific models' dimensions in these respective areas. However, quality illustrations enhance a useful text. Despite minor flaws, this is highly recommended.?Henry T. Armistead, Free Lib. of Philadelphia
Copyright 1998 Reed Business Information, Inc.
From the Back Cover
"If I'd had Bird Watching For Dummies many years ago, my life list would have been much longer."
Jimmy Carter, Former President of the United States
"This book is for me a bird watcher and a dummy! Thank you Mr. Thompson!"
Janet Leigh, Actress and Author
"Bill Thompsons conversational style, humor, and great experience make this [book] an ideal place to start."
Nicholas Hammond, Former Director of Communications, Royal Society for the Protection of Birds, UK
If youd like to get back to nature and join the millions of bird watching enthusiasts worldwide, let Bird Watching For Dummies take you on a private tour of the beautiful bird kingdom that will take your breath away!
Inside, youll discover how to:
- Design a bird-friendly backyard with bird feeders, houses, gardens, and baths
- Keep your bird feeders, gardens, baths, and houses free of diseases and other pests
- Locate sources for bird houses, feeders, binoculars, clothing, and more!
- Identify both eastern and western birds like an expert, from blue jays and barn swallows to hummingbirds and herons!
- Understand bird behavior and how to recognize birds by their songs
- Make your own "life list" by keeping notes and records of the birds you see
- Join bird clubs, take field trips, and attend bird festivals nationwide
- Book bird watching tours that fit your level of expertise and budget
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Top Customer Reviews
The text is easily readable, not boring and zips along with more than the occasional joke, witticism or bad pun. Truly, the humor is well placed and Thompson writes in a semi-self deprecatory manner that is refreshing for an expert in any field.
What I liked most was the practical aspect of helping someone start from scratch in attracting birds to their yard through choices of feeds, plantings, open spaces and other ideas. I'm convinced that if you want to attract birds this book will help you do so. A bonus was the color section of high quality photographs of Thompson's favorite birds.
The book even had a nice little section on birding ettiquette for the unititiated who might find themselves in company with veterans. Always good to know what to say or not.
With the possible exception of bird haters, I think almost anyone would enjoy this book. Well, maybe not Tippy Hedrin.
Most recent customer reviews
I bought this for my husband who has taken up birdwatching. He seems to be really enjoying it and keeps telling me little things he has learned.Published 22 months ago by Carol Ann
This book looks great. Haven't read it all but flipped thru it and looks awesome. What I have read looks like the information I will require for bird watchingPublished 23 months ago by LORI ARNOTT
I have never spent my money on a better book! This book got me into birdwatching and nature. In "Bird Watching for Dummies," Bill Thompson, III introduces you to his... Read morePublished on May 28 2001
I have thoroughly enjoyed Bill Thompson's book. It's rare when you can find a book that is so informational and completely entertaining as well. Read morePublished on Nov. 25 1998
This book gave me the confidence I needed to become more active in birdwatching. If you want to attract more birds to your backyard, this book gives you practical how-to-do-it... Read morePublished on Nov. 25 1998
Mr. Thompson has written a book that beginners will like for its information and clarity while more advanced birdwatchers will enjoy for it fresh insight and humor. Read morePublished on Nov. 23 1998 by Donovan Shipp(email@example.com)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Crafts, Hobbies & Home > Crafts & Hobbies
- Books > For Dummies Store > Entertainment > Games
- Books > For Dummies Store > Entertainment > General
- Books > For Dummies Store > Home & Garden > Crafts & Hobbies
- Books > For Dummies Store > Home & Garden > General
- Books > For Dummies Store > Outdoors & Nature
- Books > For Dummies Store > Science > Biological Sciences
- Books > For Dummies Store > Science > General
- Books > For Dummies Store > Science > Nature & Ecology
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Puzzles & Games
- Books > Science & Math > Biological Sciences > Zoology > Ornithology
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Animals > Birds & Birdwatching > Field Guides
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Fauna > Birds & Birdwatching > Field Guides
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Reference