Birds of India: Pakistan, Nepal, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Sri Lanka, and the Maldives Paperback – Nov 28 1999
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
About the Author
Richard Grimmett was an artist for A Guide to the Birds of Nepal and founding chairman of the Oriental Bird Club. He coauthored BirdLife's Important Bird Areas of Europe. Carol Inskipp is the coauthor (with Tim Inskipp) of A Guide to the Birds of Nepal and An Introduction to Birdwatching in Bhutan and author of A Birdwatcher's Guide to Nepal. In addition to cowriting two books with Carol Inskipp, Tim Inskipp is the coauthor of An Annotated Checklist of the Birds of the Oriental Region.
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
REVIEW OF THE FIRST EDITION: Finally, a complete, comprehensive field guide to the birds of India! Gone are the days of hauling 2 or 3 hardcover bird books to the subcontinent just to be able to identify relatively common species. The drawings in this book are excellent, the descriptions very detailed, and the range maps very helpful. My two criticisms are that birders familiar with the common names in Salim Ali's "The Book of Indian Birds" will be confused with the revised nomenclature in this guide (based on the Inskipp's Indian Checklist); some changes are relatively minor, while others are so dramatically different (and frankly puzzling) that cross-referencing is a chore. The second involves the separation of many of the range maps from the plates and descriptions, sometimes by many pages. This was due to the large number of species featured on some plates- there just wasn't enough room for the maps also. A better strategy might have been to put them all in the back of the book. But the benefits of this book far outweigh the shortcomings- my next trip to India promises to be more rewarding and productive bird-wise (as well as easier on my back)due to this excellent and overdue field guide.
Now of the good part. It is compact.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Asia > Bangladesh
- Books > History > Asia > Bhutan
- Books > History > Asia > India
- Books > History > Asia > Nepal
- Books > History > Asia > Pakistan
- Books > History > Asia > Sri Lanka
- Books > Science & Math > Biological Sciences > Biology
- Books > Science & Math > Biological Sciences > Zoology > Ornithology
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Animals > Birds & Birdwatching > Field Guides
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Fauna > Birds & Birdwatching > Field Guides
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Reference