***Below are the instructions I used to follow to make my own filter, but since then, a keen reader suggested using a coffee filter. They work great and require no modification!***
This filter works great, but it's not as "washable" as one would hope. So, in the hunt to find a more cost effective replacement, I have developed an easy DIY instructional of how to make your own. Quickly and inexpensively.
Difficulty Level: Easy
Time Needed: 10 minutes first time (due to removing old fabric); 3 minutes thereafter
Cost: Approximately .03 cents/VIVA BRAND Choose-A-Size paper towel filter
What you'll need:
Used VF110 filter (1)
VIVA BRAND paper towel (1)
Tape (2 small pieces)
1) Take a used VF110 filter and carefully remove the fabric portion by cutting around the base (use sewing scissors or small grooming scissors and ensure you remove the small amount of fabric at the bottom of base of the plastic frame as well; this will allow easier cleaning as you'll want to wash the plastic frame from time to time)
2) Discard fabric portion of filter once removed
3) Take a VIVA BRAND paper towel (it has to be VIVA BRAND as other types do not filter well enough... I use the Choose-A-Size which prevents waste), cut down to approximately 11" x 4.5"
4) Wrap the paper towel around the cylindrical base and use a small piece of tape to secure the end of the paper towel to itself, making a tube-like paper towel cylinder
5) Similar to wrapping a gift, take the top portion (while ensuring the paper towel remains in place at the base) and use four equal folds; fold inward until the they touch the filter frame top
6) Use a small piece of tape and secure the top fold
7) Carefully place the outer plastic filter shell (mine is grey) over the newly constructed paper towel filter and lock into place
Note: I do not know how long each paper towel filter will last; I change mine every two weeks under moderate use.