Blue Hill Avenue [Import]
|List Price:||CDN$ 13.95|
|Price:||CDN$ 13.73 & FREE Shipping on orders over CDN$ 25. Details|
|You Save:||CDN$ 0.22 (2%)|
Payne/Divoff/Williams/Forsythe ~ Bluehill Avenue
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
The movie was not predictable, which I appreciated. It did however remind me just a bit of "Jason's Lyric" and "New Jack City". Ingredients that made up the story consist of friendship, loyalty, love, betrayal, trust, self analysis, greed and power. The soundtrack was also enjoyable. The characters were very believable and definitely unforgetable. If you enjoy it or just want to know more...check out the website for more info on cast and behind the scenes at bluehillavenue.com.
Throughout the movie, Tristan's family confronts him his dealing. During a particularly painful family incident, Tristan's father approaches Tristan and asks how could he end up a dealer when he came from such a good famliy. Tristan is at a loss for an explanation, and responds to his dad, "Because I'm good at it".
The film includes lots of action, perhaps a bit more violence than was really necessary for the story line. Blue Hill Avenue dares to show how a young man from a decent upbringing can get caught up in the wrong crowd, and how it impacts an otherwise decent family. Towards the end of the movie, Tristan acknowledges that his friends will be the end of him.
Blue Hill Avenue was actually filmed in Canada, in Saint John, New Brunswick. I live in Boston and was impressed how much the location passed for Boston, a good choice on the producer's part.
1. Allen Payne is finally in a leading role. With the exception of "Jason's Lyric," he's almost always a bit player. As fine as he is, it's great seeing him front and center. But you can tell he's aging.
2. That adorable young actor from "Soul Food" is in this. He's a teenager now and I wish his career well.
3. That scary older actor from "Tales from the Crypt" and "Sugar Hill" is in this, so you know this movie is a dark one. But he scares me so much that I applaud his skills. Move over, Christopher Walkens!
4. This took place in Boston. With the exception of New Edition, the black community in that city is hardly brought up in the media. It's great to see this film as an exception. And I don't think this was filmed in Toronto: it actually looked like what I remember from the East Coast.
5. The main crew in this film are four African-American men of various sizes and complexions. They are well-dressed, well-shaved, and display a range of emotions as characters. I found this very visually pleasing. I think folks should see the film just for that.
Otherwise, this was just another flick about the rise and fall of druglords of color. The child actors look nothing like the adult actors they are supposed to represent. This film is second-rate, but that doesn't stop me from being glad I saw it.
Boy am I glad I did, because this is a wonderful tale of how simple it is to have your whole life changed by one act or by saying or suggesting something......"What if we didn't smoke it all?" That's how easy it was to get it all started. The only problem is stopping something, generally isn't as easy.
I had my teenage son and niece watch this film and see from a spectators point of view, how silly it truly is to let you desire to fit in or you so called loyalty to friends bring you down. That we all should do what the pit of "our" stomach tells us to do, not what guilt or fear dictates.
I would recommend this to all with one bit of advice - "when watching anything that isn't based on a true story, take it for what it's worth. Remember....it's entertainment with a message.
Most recent customer reviews
The movie gave Allen Payne a chance to shine in the spotlight since Jason Lyric. It was totally different from New Jack City, it was more about love and friendships. Read morePublished on May 18 2004 by Shonica S. Brown
First of all Allen Payne, is FINE, and he's at the lead of this great ensemble of actors! Ya feel me!
Secondly, from the beginning I truly loved this story. Read more
That is actually what this film was ALLEN AVENUE, it was so good from start to finish I could not got to the restroom without nearly pissing on myself trying to get back to see... Read morePublished on Jan. 28 2004 by Durrel Ward
This movie is for today's youth. It show's you how you can be a good kid and get caught up in the game when you start going down the wrong avenue. Read morePublished on Jan. 2 2004
This movie was well directed as well as scripted. It perfectly fused together "top-notch" actors with the depth and creativeness that only low bud get films can grab. Read morePublished on Dec 27 2003 by Guttah