Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual: How to Maintain, Repair, and Improve Your Boat's Essential Systems Hardcover – Jun 21 2005
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
'A reference library book that'll solve or at least set you on the right track to solving almost any boat related problem' Boat Mart 'A serious builder or owner, or a marine proffesional, will find it invaluable" Sailing Magazine (March 2010) --This text refers to an alternate Hardcover edition.
From the Back Cover
The boatowner's foremost troubleshooting guide, now better than ever
If it's on a boat and it has screws, wires, or moving parts, it's covered in Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual. When you leave the dock with this book aboard, you have at your fingertips the best and most comprehensive advice on:
- Battery technologies
- 12- and 24-volt DC systems
- Corrosion, bonding, and lightning protection
- Generators, inverters, and battery chargers
- Electric motors and electric lights
- Marine electronics, antennas, and RFI
- Diesel engines
- Transmissions, shaft brakes, and propellers
- Refrigeration and air-conditioning
- Tanks, plumbing, and through-hulls
- Pumps and watermakers
- Steering, autopilots, and wind vanes
- Stoves and heaters
- Winches, windlasses, and bow thrusters
- Spars, rigging, and roller reefing
"If you had to choose a single book to help you assess and maintain your boat gear, this would be it."―Practical Sailor
"A truly remarkable bible. . . . This book is the best of its kind."―WoodenBoat
"A major achievement. . . . It would be hard to imagine anything going wrong on a boat that couldn't be figured out with this book."―Sailing World
"The world's best technical reference and troubleshooting book."―Sailing Inland and Offshore
"This manual will be of lasting interest to anyone who wants to know how their boat works, what has gone wrong when it doesn't, and how it could be fixed."―Classic Boat
"Without becoming too complex, the book covers almost every imaginable mechanical or electrical matter in the marine environment."―Work Boat World
"Calder lives what he writes, . . . [and] what he offers . . . is practical solutions to problems associated with increasingly complex marine systems. . . . [A] bargain for anyone in the construction and repair side of the boat business."―Professional Boatbuilder
Nigel Calder is widely acknowledged as the world's foremost writer on boat systems maintenance. A diesel mechanic for more than 25 years, he has also been a boatbuilder, cabinetmaker, and machinist. Calder is the author of How to Read a Nautical Chart, Nigel Calder's Cruising Handbook, Refrigeration for Pleasureboats, and Marine Diesel Engines. He is a frequent contributor to boating magazines in the United States and Britain.See all Product Description
Inside This Book(Learn More)
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Overall, what I appreciate most is that he doesn't insult the intelligence of the reader. This is not dumbed down in any way. The author instead gives enough information so that a reasonably intelligent reader can actually understand how different systems on their boat function.
The book is probably more oriented to sailboats, as he talks mainly about diesel engines.
I highly recommend this book, because it can help you gain a feeling of mastery over your boat's systems.
Most recent customer reviews
Full of lots of info for all aspects of boat issues. Very well writtenPublished 14 months ago by David
Excellent comprehensive book on the W5's!! Well done!!Published 19 months ago by email@example.com
The most complete and helpful guide to boat systems I have ever found. Very clear and precise explanations to almost any question you want answered about how something works on... Read morePublished 20 months ago by Bruce Dysart
Keep one on board. You never know when you will need it. Pne of the better generic manuals out there from my experience.Published 24 months ago by P. Holland
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Crafts, Hobbies & Home > Crafts & Hobbies > Toys & Models > Models
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Industrial, Manufacturing & Operational Systems
- Books > Professional & Technical > Transportation
- Books > Sports & Outdoors > Outdoor Recreation > Boating
- Books > Sports & Outdoors > Outdoor Recreation > Kayaking > Sea Kayaking
- Books > Sports & Outdoors > Outdoor Recreation > Sailing > Instructional
- Books > Sports & Outdoors > Water Sports > Boating
- Books > Sports & Outdoors > Water Sports > Kayaking > Sea Kayaking
- Books > Sports & Outdoors > Water Sports > Sailing > Instructional