No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
|Print List Price:||CDN$ 18.15|
Save CDN$ 15.16 (84%)
A Book of Kells:: Growing Up in an Ego Void Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
Top Customer Reviews
War brides, moved thousands of miles away - usually to Canadian cities, villages and farms - joining their husband, a man they barely knew. But Kathleen's future husband, a minister, worked and lived on an extremely remote reservation in Canada's wilderness close to Hudson Bay in Canada's North.
It is a fascinating social history, describing challenges and details of pioneer life on this Northern reserve and struggle in a minister's family, by using old love letters, photographs and diaries of her parents.
Many touching stories and exciting details include canoe trips along the old fur trade route, generous native neighbors, a dangerous journey to hospital in mid-winter on a horse drawn toboggan to deliver her baby, life-threatening forest fires, pre-television social life and her daughters friendship with Tim (Miles) Horton, the later famous NHL star.
I red "A Book of Kells" with great pleasure, almost non-stop, it is a real page turner and I highly recommend it!
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
The book is a wonderful historical account of hard-working, devoted Canadians, with powerful scenes such as the parents kayaking and logging for 40 miles in the brutally cold northern Manitoba wind: so cold that the father's nose froze.
It is also a work of candor. Margaret tells it like it is. She is very straightforward talking about relationships, feelings, and her own adult beliefs about religion.
of events in Europe and their repercussions abroad. The descriptions were vivid as they were witnessed. The settings especially the one where her Mother accuses her Father of neglecting her and taking her for granted, the breakdown and then an attempt at reconciliation will remain forever etched in my mind. Has the Author been able to forgive her Father for neglecting her Mother?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Leaders & Notable People > Military
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Professionals & Academics > Military & Spies
- Books > History > Historical Study > Social History
- Books > History > Military > Biographies
- Kindle Store > English Language Store
- Kindle Store > Kindle Exclusives
- Kindle Store > Kindle Unlimited
- Kindle Store > Kindle Unlimited > Biographies & Memoirs > Leaders & Notable People > Military
- Kindle Store > Kindle Unlimited > History > Historical Study > Social History
- Kindle Store > Kindle Unlimited > History > Military
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biographies & Memoirs > Leaders & Notable People > Military
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > History > Historical Study > Social History
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > History > Military > Biographies