Boys, Girls & Body Science: A First Book About Facts of Life Hardcover – Oct 1 2002
|New from||Used from|
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
". . . this book is an excellent resource that will make life easier for parents struggling to find the words to explain reproduction and sex to their children."
-Miriam Kaufman, Quill & Quire (Quill & Quire)
"Hickling is magnificent with children."
- Donna Sinclair, The United Church Observer
"Her impact...has been enormous and visionary...one of the best educators I have ever seen."
- Ian Haysom, The Vancouver Sun
"It is not easy to talk about sex. Meg is truly a master at this."
- Chris Simmons-Physick, Supervisor, Toronto Kids Help Phone (Previous Praise for Meg Hickling)
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
If I ever meet Meg Hickling I'm going to give her a gigantic hug!
The book starts off in a classroom where the nurse comes in to discussing biological changes in puberty to both sexes, and the kids responding like kids would (even saying "YUCK!" which is what my child said as well when I was reading it to her).
I highly recommend this book for 6-9 year olds who have questions about "whats this?". It is a discussion starter on its basic level.
For girls only: I'd also recommend "The Care and Keeping of You" which discusses how & why to wash, what changes will be happening soon during puberty, how to size & select a bra, etc. A little more fluffy than Body Science, but I believe they complement each other.
The Care & Keeping of You: The Body Book for Girls
I am very happy with the book. It does a really good job of presenting the material in an honest and clininical manner yet still manages to stay interesting to kids.
I believe it made my "talk" with the kids so much easier. I actually have seen the kids leaf through the book on their own at times too so I know it caught their attention/interest.
I highly recommend this book!
Most recent customer reviews
Fantastic book. Excellent way to start a great conversation with kids.Published 4 months ago by Andrea
Amazing book that should be in every home with children! Teaching children about their bodies and the correct names for their body parts is one of the #1 ways to prevent childhood... Read morePublished 7 months ago by Crystal Di Domizio
Used this as a guide with the questions I was getting from my daughter. She found it too graphic (age 7), but I thought it was well written.Published 16 months ago by Christina B
Great book about our bodies and how babies are created. Information is delivered in a way that is accurate and easy to understand.Published 19 months ago by Susan M Dalton
My 7 year old grandson said it is the best book he has ever read. When his mom asked him if he wanted to ask any questions he replied, "no, everything is covered in the book".Published on Oct. 30 2013 by Lorraine
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Children's Books > Education & Reference
- Books > Children's Books > Geography & Cultures > Cultural Studies
- Books > Children's Books > Growing Up & Facts of Life > Health > Personal Hygiene
- Books > Children's Books > Growing Up & Facts of Life > Health > Sexuality
- Books > Children's Books > Literature & Fiction
- Books > Children's Books > Science, Nature & How It Works > Nature
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Personal Health > Teen Health > Sexuality
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Sex
- Books > Parenting & Relationships > Family Health
- Books > Parenting & Relationships > Parenting
- Books > Teens > Health, Mind & Body > Sexuality
- Books > Teens > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction