Dr Budwig is a giant in the field of health and was a Nobel nominee several times. Two decades ago I read all her books translated into English and took tablespoons of flax oil, drank lots of water, supplemented with 1g magnesium citrate, etc, etc. Yes, I achieved a small but noticeable improvement in my very poor health but over time still continued to slide slowly, steadily, frighteningly downwards, undiagnosed and untreated for over 20 years. What worked in her time is no longer enough (therefore only 3 stars), partly because of the massive poisoning we are suffering (bromide in our bread and environment, fluoride and chlorine in our water, pesticides and GM in our food, and so much more).
For those looking for general health improvements, I suggest:
- "Oil Pulling" by Fife - worked immediately for me, to sooth an abscessed tooth, and has long-term systemic benefits;
- "Never Fear Cancer Again" by Raymond Francis a superb distillation of what is truly needed for health;
- "Trick and Treat" by Barry Groves or and "The Diet Delusion" by Gary Taubes or "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" by Phinney and Volek , all of which turn upside down everything governments have told us to eat for health;
- "Vitamin C, Infectious Diseases, and Toxins: Curing the Incurable" and "Ascorbate: The Science of Vitamin C": not only is vitamin C safer than water but mega-dose vitamin C is the ultimate antidote;
- "Niacin : The Real Story: Learn About the Wonderful Healing Properties of Vitamin B3" by Abram Hoffer
- "Transdermal Magnesium Therapy" by Sircus on the amazing benefits of magnesium - a fundamental supplement for a healthy body;
- "The XXL Syndrome", basically a booklet, about the essential part potassium plays in health (especially potassium bicarbonate);
- "Sodium Bicarbonate - Full Medical Review" also by Sircus;
"Iodine: Why you need it, Why you can't live without it" by David Brownstein and " The Iodine Crisis: What You Don't Know About Iodine Can Wreck Your Life" by Lynne Farrow (A number of leading edge doctors (those who truly practice under their oath "First Do No Harm") are stating that sodium bicarbonate, magnesium chloride and lugol's iodine form the triumvirate of health recovery - and all are cheap to buy.);
- "The Healing Code" by Loyd/Johnson/Eble: hundreds of personal successes, including physical, listed in the reviews on Amazon.com;
However, if you have low thyroid issues, the Budwig therapy does not help in my own experience nor do any of the above books, much.
For over two decades I intensively researched alternative health. The vast majority of therapies - chemical/physical, mental/emotional, energetic/spiritual - do not work, in my experience - and I trained in or obtained treatment in dozens, perhaps hundreds, over those two decades, learning for example that homeopathy and acupuncture can each be helpful for certain issues - but not for thyroid issues. Nothing actually works (or not for very long) until the thyroid issue is addressed.
ALL my standard thyroid tests were "normal" (because they don't do all the necessary tests and also there are no lab tests for thyroid resistance and several other thyroid problems) as well as all other lab tests, even though I was basically dying (very slowly). I ONLY started true health recovery when I learned how to treat my thyroid problem properly. Hypothyroidism - both primary and secondary - is being called a silent epidemic (silent because not officially acknowledged) that affects between 40% and 60% of the population. I suggest:
- "Hypothyroidism Type 2" ("type 2" meaning the many thyroid problems for which there are no lab tests so they don't get diagnosed) which shows how much of poor health and all chronic pain is linked to low thyroid, including those involved with diabetes, heart problems, both bleeding (like gums, periods) & blood clots (including strokes) and some cancers; and
- Stop The Thyroid Madness - I think this is the MOST important book and there is also a very helpful website with the same name; both are patient-empowering, detailed and practical - it's basically a how-to manual for low thyroid and also adrenal insufficiency, which is common for low thyroid people.
Both STTM website and book explain a quick and easy self/home test for identifying low thyroid in yourself, the FREE basal/morning temperature test, which is the gold standard for identifying thyroid problems (although most conventional doctors, including endos, don't agree, but then they're not trained to understand thyroid problems.
The Broda Barnes Foundation website offers a list of the few thyroid-sympathetic doctors in your state: click on the "educational info" button on the left.