From the Back Cover
Create a PC-based center that delivers endless excitement and entertainment to your home. Choose the appropriate case, motherboard, processor, and memory to make your entertainment system sing, then select the operating system and additional software that will best enhance your PC performance. Inside, you'll find fully illustrated instructions on putting everything together, including operating and troubleshooting tips. From TV tuner and video card options to amplification recommendations, Build Your Own PC Home Entertainment System delivers a complete guide to the parts and accessories you'll need to build your dream home entertainment system.
- Customize a PC you already own
- Get a list of top-quality author-recommended components and assemble your ideal system--even while saving money
- Install, check, and run your system--plus, follow specific instructions on proper care and troubleshooting
- Learn which processor, memory, and operating system will provide optimal performance
- Configure your system for multichannel surround sound, and understand speaker systems, audio drivers, and other sound-generating essentials
- Improve storage with floppy disk and DVD drives, redundant array of inexpensive disks (RAID), and other techniques
- Partition and format the hard drive for peak performance
- Program hundreds of hours of music, create mixes, and use tuner application and video editing software
- Store your favorite TV programs or digital camcorder movies on DVD
- Add gaming features, use video cards, TV tuner cards, and connect to a large screen TV
About the Author
Brian Underdahl (Reno, NV) is the best-selling author of more than 60 books on all aspects of computing. During his career, he has appeared on a number of TV shows as an invited expert, including the Computer Chronicles and TechTV. Brian¿s books have won awards and received critical acclaim from a number of organizations, including an Award of Merit from the Northern California Technical Communications Competition.