Margery Allingham left this final Campion mystery unfinished when she died and it was completed by her husband Philip Youngman Carter. Albert Campion doesn't really fit into the Sixties scene with its Mods and Rockers, but this is a must-have for the serial detective's fans.
For one thing, it is a vast improvement on the previous novel, "The Mind Readers" (Campion #18 - 1965) where the author made an unfortunate essay into science fiction. Campion, who had been fading out of his own series in favor of Scotland Yard Superintendent Charles Luke, makes something of a comeback in "Cargo of Eagles." Of course, it is his last hurrah, although Youngman Carter wrote two more Campion novels on his own, after his wife's death from breast cancer in 1966.
"Cargo of Eagles" takes place in the marshy English village of Saltey--a town that time tried to forget, but couldn't. The villagers, many of whom are part-time pirates and smugglers turn a suspicious eye on newcomers, especially a beautiful young doctor who inherited a house from one of her deceased patients. The doctor begins to receive poison pen letters before she even visits her new house, and when she finally does venture to Saltey, one of the first things she discovers in her inherited home is the body of her solicitor.
Is his death somehow connected with rumors of buried treasure, or has it got something to do with the bands of motorcyclists now swarming through Saltey? Campion and his new sidekick, an American history professor attempt to sort out the acts of random violence from those that are directly connected to a pirate's treasure that went missing during the second world war.
Here is a complete list of the Campion novels that Allingham wrote. There are also short story collections and Campion novels that were written by her husband, Youngman Carter, which I didn't include in this list.
1. The Black Dudley Murder aka The Crime at Black Dudley (1929)
2. Mystery Mile (1930)
3. Look to the Lady aka The Gyrth Chalice Mystery (1931)
4. Police at the Funeral (1931)
5. Sweet Danger aka Kingdom of Death aka The Fear Sign (1933)
6. Death of a Ghost (1934)
7. Flowers for the Judge (1936)
8. The Case of the Late Pig (1937)
9. Dancers in Mourning aka Who Killed Chloe? (1937)
10. The Fashion in Shrouds (1938)
11. Traitor's Purse aka The Sabotage Murder Mystery (1941)
12. Pearls before Swine (1945)
13. More Work for the Undertaker (1948)
14. The Tiger in the Smoke (1952)
15. Estate of the Beckoning Lady (1955)
16. Tether's End (1958)
17. The China Governess (1963)
18. The Mind Readers (1965)
19. Cargo of Eagles (1968)