- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Caring in Nursing Classics: An Essential Resource Paperback – Dec 12 2012
|New from||Used from|
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
?This collected work by scholars Smith, Turkel, and Wolf stands as a classic indeed. It offers nursing and related fields a repository and living history of the evolution of nursing within a caring science paradigm over a 40-year span from foundational ideas and developments, to current work in education, research, and institutional/community practices of caring?[The work] sustains and advances knowledge of human caring to serve humanity.?
From the Foreword byJean Watson , PhD, RN, AHN- BC, FAAN
Founder, Watson Caring Science Institute
This is a core resource for nursing educators and students at all levels who seek fundamental perspectives on the art and science of caring. The text comprises 37 classic book chapters and journal articles written by leaders in the field and illuminate the evolution of the caring paradigm—from its beginnings as a philosophical/ethical/theoretical guide to nursing, to implications for the future development of caring science. Co-published with the Watson Caring Science Institute (WCSI), it will also be a primary resource for students attending WCSI programs and for in-service education programs, especially in hospitals with, or seeking, Magnet status. Each section features an introductory essay illuminating important concepts, followed by reflective questions appropriate for baccalaureate, master?s, and doctoral levels. Also included are multiple-choice questions, a variety of case studies, a digital teacher and student resource with PowerPoints for key ideas, and more.
The book is organized into nine sections providing an in-depth analysis of the evolution of caring scholarship; systematic reviews of the concept of caring; theoretical perspectives, including conceptual orientations, middle-range theories, and grand theories; seminal research studies; research designs and methods; practice models for the integration of caring within contemporary hospital-based practice environments; caring in communities and for the environment; leadership and administrative issues with a focus on caring and economics; and the future of caring science.Key Features:
- Presents the seminal literature on caring
- Co-published with the Watson Caring Science Institute
- Provides reflective/critical thinking questions tailored to academic levels
- For use in baccalaureate, graduate, doctoral, and in-service education, and as a core resource for WCSI programs
- Is accompanied by a digital teacher and student guide
About the Author
Marlaine C. Smith, RN, PhD, AHN-BC, FAAN, is Dean and Helen K. Persson Eminent Scholar in the Christine E. Lynn College of Nursing, Florida Atlantic University (FAU). From 1988 to 2006 she was on the faculty of the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center School of Nursing, serving as Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and the Director of the Center for Integrative Caring Practice for six years. She has been a nurse educator since 1976 with other faculty appointments at Duquesne University, Pennsylvania State University, and LaRoche College in Pittsburgh. Dr. Smith's research has focused on outcomes of touch therapies as an expression of caring. She has written a variety of theoretical, philosophical, research, practice, and review articles related to caring. Her most recent work has been the development of a middle range theory of unitary caring. With Marilyn Parker she co-edited the third edition ofNursing Theories and Nursing Practice.--This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Medical Books > Nursing > Issues, Trends & Roles
- Books > Medical Books > Nursing > Reference
- Books > Medical Books > Nursing > Research & Theory
- Books > Science & Math > Medicine > Nursing > Issues, Trends & Roles
- Books > Science & Math > Medicine > Nursing > Research & Theory
- Books > Science & Math > Reference > Medical > Nursing
- Books > Textbooks > Medicine > Nursing > Issues
- Books > Textbooks > Medicine > Nursing > Reference
- Books > Textbooks > Medicine > Nursing > Research & Theory