Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Tools

Format: Audio CDChange

on February 25, 2012
I agree with others who have reviewed this book that it is a different kind of book than the fast action pace (racing around the world, chasing bombs, villains) in some of the series books of this author but it is still exciting and captivating. That said I think this is one of my favorite books of the series. I liked the change of pace. I think it is a good way to show the characters a bit more personal and how they are coping with the past and moving on. It is still a very good mystery in that you really don't know who did it until it is revealed then it all makes sense. I love that this series shows how they unravel it and let you see the way the case develops and evidence is gathered.One point in the book where they meet the brother of one of the deceased was very moving and revealing. It gave insight into the character. It was also an interesting look at celebrity and image and reality. I don't have much to say negatively - but I do have one wish in that before they arrested the villain I could have seen them track down more about his financial dealings and evidence about his past crimes. But the book leaves you wanting more and very satisfied overall so it is worth every penny to buy and read. I highly recommend it. It is hard to put down so be prepared and don't start reading it late at night!! Oh and I love the way the author weaves the personal side of Eve's life into the book - with her friends, her husband etc. It really rounds out the book not to mention gives a few chuckles like when Eve is faced with a baby and when she gets gifts (cool ones!). Love the characters, can't stop reading the books and now waiting anxiously for next one!
on March 17, 2012
I never knew how much I looked forward to the chase scenes, shootings, stabbing and all the other excitement the permeated these books, until I read this one. I never thought I would find myself saying that an Eve Dallas book could be boring, but this one was.

Eve Roarke and Dehlia have been invited to the party that is celebrating the the movie (vid) "The Icove Agenda". While there, nasty words are exchanged between the actress playing Peabody and almost everyone who is at the party. Naturally she is later found dead under suspicious circumstances. Everyone is a suspect...

There is a lot of leg-work for Eve and Dehlia, a lot of people to interview and that's about it. J.D. did do the usual and tossed in plenty of red herrings, but I just didn't care. I kept trying to force myself not to page to the back of the book to see who really dunnit.

Oh and did want to mention to the proof-readers and editors, that they may want to rethink using the abbreviation 'anal' for the word 'analyze' or 'analysis'...just sayin'!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
First Sentence: With frustration, and some regret, she studied murder.

Lt. Eve Dallas couldn't do anything about one of her past cases gaining national attention with a book having been written about it. Now it's being turned into a film and its strange having others play her and those close to her on sets eerily similar to her reality. The worlds of make-believe and reality collide when the murder of an actress portraying Dallas' second, Peabody, occurs at a party.

The J.D. Robb books are one of my slightly guilty pleasures but there's really no reason to feel that way. J.D. Robb is, in fact, mega-bestseller Nora Roberts and she didn't achieve her success by writing poorly.

Robb creates great characters with whom we become involved and invested'they, and their inter-relationships, become almost real to us. And yes, there's sex; a natural part of a married relationship. One of the best parts of her characters is that they have grown and changed through the series. What's remarkable is to think that, in the span of 34 books, the series has only progress about two years in character time; a subtle touch that both keeps the characters form again and adds realism as no policeman only has one major case per year.

Robb writes delightful dialogue with humor, edge and occasionally insight. Her books are set in the near future with just enough sci-fi to be interesting, but real time is catching up to invented time. Don't mistake her books for fluff, however. There is plenty of grit to them, and the hard unpleasant realities of a murder investigation. The plot is complex enough to keep any mystery fan guessing. When I can't identify the killer, I'm a happy reader, indeed.

'Celebrity in Death' is yet another very good read in a series I hope continues for many years to come.

CELEBRITY IN DEATH (Fut. Pol Proc-Lt. Eve Dallas-New New York City-Future) - VG
Robb, J.D. (aka Nora Roberts) ' 34th in series
Putnam, 2012
on April 10, 2012
If you ever decide to start reading a series - this is it! It has everything - mystery, romance and humour! The main characters are a fascinating couple! I read all 34 and have started re-reading. Can't wait for # 35 in October (Delusion in Death). Thank you J.D. Robb.
on May 27, 2012
This book was ordered for my wife as she is a huge fan of J D Robb and has all of Her *In Death* books...I am writing this as she told me the book was absolutely fabulous...Price was very good and service was as always courteous and prompt...My wife just loved it and is waiting for the next J D Robb book to be released in a few months...
on March 8, 2013
I found this not to be up to J. D. Robb's usual writing. The story was okay, but it could have been better. I may be the only person who didn't find it up to her standards, so everyone will have to read it and judge it for themselves.
on October 6, 2014
I love the In death series. Other than the case solving, the evolving relationship between Dallas & Roarke as they work out the 'marriage rules' and Eve's growing relationships with other keeps one turning the page.
on March 26, 2012
As usual, J.D.Robb delivers! This book is exactly what a J.D.Robb fan would expect. It is an absolutely excellent read!
on July 22, 2014
very typical Roberts or Robb.
on October 8, 2015