|1. The Old Man Down The Road|
|2. Rock And Roll Girls|
|3. Big Train (From Memphis)|
|4. I Saw It On T.V.|
|5. Mr. Greed|
|8. I Can't Help Myself|
|9. Vanz Kant Danz|
This album is really a comment on John's relationship with Fantasy Records and its top man Saul Zaentz. To make a long story short, John and Saul had a bad relationship, so John waited out his contract and eventually signed with Warner Bros. And just like any good artist, he expressed it in song. "Vanz Kant Danz" is one of these songs that references Saul.
A pretty good album, but the 80's production really takes away from a gritty performance that had become expected from Fogerty. Also check out "The Old Man is Down The Road," Fantasy tried to sue John for copyright infringement on himself.
"The Old Man Down The Road"
"Rock And Roll Girls"
"Vanz Kant Danz"
1. Old Man Down the Road -- One of the big hits here, which even had a popular MTV video. The most CCR sounding tune here, extremely catchy, yet slightly tough, with menacing lyrics. Pop based blues rock that anyone with any taste in music would love.
2. Rock & Roll Girls -- The lesser known retro yet fresh sounding AOR hit. A more fun, saxophone based uptempo rocker that's sure to please. Also sounds a bit like CCR.
3. Big Train From Memphis -- A mid tempo, Elvis tinged country tune. Not quite as good as the first two hits, but a great underrated piece.
4. I Saw it on TV -- A laid back catchy ballad, probably about John's younger days, growing up and about believing what he (and others) saw on, well, TV. Reflective without being preachy. Another more old time sounding track.
5. Mr. Greed -- A slightly hard rock based catchy, yet angry blues rocker. From what I hear, aimed at his former manager. If the words don't bother you, you'll love this. Just because it wasn't a hit, it's no less good.
6. Searchlight -- Many albums have at least one boring song. This is Centerfield's. Not a ballad, but a very slow, bluesy (too much so) ditty that just doesn't seem to go anywhere. It doesn't seem to fall into any particular category. It's not god awful or anything, but you won't exactly be hitting 'Repeat' on it.
7. Long after Mr.Read more ›
1. Read more