Chambers Dictionary of Etymology Hardcover – Sep 15 1999
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
'The best of scholarship ... the most user-friendly of etymological dictionaries' University of Georgia
About the Author
This internationally renowned reference publisher continues its celebrated tradition of excellence into the present day with such informative and authoritative works as the "Chambers Crossword Dictionary", "Chambers Encyclopedia", "Chambers Biographical Dictionary" and the all-new "Chambers Dictionary of Quotations". Chambers is based in Edinburgh, as it always has been, and employs editors with a wide range of skills on dictionaries and other titles for a variety of users, including students and teachers of English as a foreign or second language. As well as the core business of publishing dictionaries and thesauruses, Chambers also publishes a range of titles on grammar and usage, single-volume reference titles on science, history, biography and quotations, as well as titles for Scrabble® and crosswords.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Admittedly, I did not have the time to compare a lot of entries, but the few words I did look up showed a pattern that was hard to dismiss. In all of the cases that I saw, the Oxford dictionary included much more of the history of the word and often went back to the Latin root as well as proposing possible alternate developments of the word. The Chambers dictionary, on the other hand, tended to trace a more linear path and often only went as far back as the Old English or Old French root.
While the Chambers Dictionary of Etymology is a very clear and concise work, I feel the Oxford Dictionary of Etymology has a slight advantage in precision and depth. I must add that although the Oxford beats out the Chambers dictionary in regard to etymology, Chambers has the advantage when it comes to quotations. I find that the Chambers Dictionary of Quotations is better than Oxford's equivalent work.
I should note that this edition, although a British re-publication of its famous US version, retains American spelling and keeps its focus on American sources while utilizing the best of all English references, regardless of country of origin.
Regarding physical quality, the book has a signature-sewn binding, meaning that it is not merely held together by glue but that its pages are actually sewn with real thread... quite a treat in today's disposable society. Thus, with reasonable care, this tome should last a lifetime and beyond!
The book is a supreme value and you can't go wrong. This is one for scholars and browsers alike.
I recommend this book in the highest possible sense.
Most recent customer reviews
Having purchased this book a couple of weeks ago I have now looked through it and read many of the entries. Read morePublished on March 21 2011 by Jack
To my surprise I found this book to be no better than my 50 year old Webster Collegiate Dictionary. About the same number of roots, similarly presented.Published on July 17 2004 by Big Red
I bought the Chambers Dictionary of Etymology, largely based on reviews posted here. While I love the 'prose' style of word origin discussions, there has scarcely been a time the... Read morePublished on Nov. 15 2002 by blain bovee
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Education & Reference > Dictionaries & Thesauruses
- Books > Education & Reference > Foreign Language Study & Reference > Foreign Language Dictionaries & Thesauruses > Irish
- Books > Education & Reference > Foreign Language Study & Reference > Foreign Language Dictionaries & Thesauruses > Welsh
- Books > Education & Reference > Spanish-Language Reference
- Books > Education & Reference > Words, Language & Grammar > Etymology
- Books > Education & Reference > Words, Language & Grammar > Linguistics
- Books > Education & Reference > Words, Language & Grammar > Reference
- Books > History > Europe > Ireland
- Books > History > Europe > Wales
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Linguistics > Applied
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > History > Europe
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Linguistics
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Literature > English Literature
- Books > Textbooks > Reference > Dictionaries