Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Tools

on March 12, 2001
This book was written in 1986. Although it is decent, it is probably the only Dave Barry book in my collection that I don't re-read occasionally. The jokes just seemed a bit staged as compared to his later writing, because the book doesn't reference any true life stories. If that's what you prefer, then this book will suit you fine, but I prefer the "I'm-Not-Making-This-Up" stories of actual events that are his trademark.
If you are looking for a humor book on the topic of corporate America, then this is a good choice. However, if you just want to read some funny Dave Barry, then try one of his later books, such as one of his compilations of short articles.
on November 24, 1998
I first got this book while I was in college and considered it one of the funniest books I had ever read. It's a perfect gift for a senior in college. After getting into the "real world" I liked it even more. Much like Dilbert cartoons, it becomes even funnier when compared to your own work situation. Includes such topics as "List of topics that middle-aged white Anglo-Saxon males talk to each other about when they're not talking business", "How to dress exactly like everybody else", and "Lobster repair: a fast-growing field".
on February 15, 2000
Before Dilbert, there was Dave Barry's "Claw Your Way to the Top". I bought this book in 1986, two years after I graduated from college before there was Amazon. I laughed so hard and it was all so true. This book will prepare any naieve university senior for "real life".
I think the best part of the book is the section on firing people. Of course the alternative is to let the two big Brunos poke out your eyes with hot knitting needles.
This book is wonderful and I recommend it as a graduation present for any graduating senior.
on June 12, 2000
I have never laughed so hard at any book. I've bought over 25 copies of it for friends over the years and often quote from it. In 1987 my friend Regina and I were interviewing a young man named Brian; we told him, "If you find this book funny, you'll enjoy working with us. If not, you'll enjoy working with everyone else here!" He came in the next day and told us his favorite part, and we hired him. This book is a classic illustration of the principle that really great humor is based on truth.
on November 3, 2001
Though not as good as his later works, definitely worth buying, though 'Dave Barry's Guide To Life' is also availiable on and contains this and three other works of similiar quality and length by the same author, while being slightly cheaper than this edition alone.
on October 11, 2000
Dave Barry satorizes career, business, motivation, and self-help books. If you've read them, you will laugh hysterically at his pointed remarks that reveal some of the most absurdly stupid things written in many of those books.