- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Combinatorics and Commutative Algebra Paperback – Oct 15 2004
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
Some remarkable connections between commutative algebra and combinatorics have been discovered in recent years. This book provides an overview of two of the main topics in this area. The first concerns the solutions of linear equations in nonnegative integers. Applications are given to the enumeration of integer stochastic matrices (or magic squares), the volume of polytopes, combinatorial reciprocity theorems, and related results. The second topic deals with the face ring of a simplicial complex, and includes a proof of the Upper Bound Conjecture for Spheres. An introductory chapter giving background information in algebra, combinatorics and topology broadens access to this material for non-specialists.
New to this edition is a chapter surveying more recent work related to face rings, focusing on applications to f-vectors. Included in this chapter is an outline of the proof of McMullen's g-conjecture for simplicial polytopes based on toric varieties, as well as a discussion of the face rings of such special classes of simplicial complexes as shellable complexes, matroid complexes, level complexes, doubly Cohen-Macaulay complexes, balanced complexes, order complexes, flag complexes, relative complexes, and complexes with group actions. Also included is information on subcomplexes and subdivisions of simplicial complexes, and an application to spline theory.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
The purpose of this introduction is to provide the reader with the relevant background from combinatorics, algebra, and topology for understanding of the text. Read the first page
Front Cover | Copyright | Table of Contents | Excerpt | Index | Back Cover
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Mathematics > Geometry & Topology
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Mathematics > Pure Mathematics
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Science
- Books > Science & Math > Mathematics > Geometry & Topology > Topology
- Books > Science & Math > Mathematics > Pure Mathematics > Algebra
- Books > Science & Math > Mathematics > Pure Mathematics > Combinatorics
- Books > Science & Math > Mathematics > Pure Mathematics > Discrete Mathematics
- Books > Textbooks > Sciences > Mathematics > Algebra & Trigonometry
- Books > Textbooks > Sciences > Mathematics > Geometry