- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
The Community Planning Handbook Paperback – Jun 1 2000
There is a newer edition of this item:
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
Water facts and figures are essential, but to understand why we are in crisis today, it is imperative to go beyond statistical data into both the water management perspective and the analysis of community-level experience. This important study looks at a
From the Publisher
A very clear, well organized and extremely useful book for those who are or who ought to be promoting democratic participation in shaping the future of our communities. In addition to prudent principles, a well researched overview of methods and good examples of specific tools, the Scenarios section demonstrates how the various methods described can be mixed and matched to meet the unique circumstances found in any community. With its emphasis on flexibility and adaptation in the face of experience, this is a book that I will recommend to clients and colleagues alike
J Gary Lawrence, President, Sustainable Strategies & Solutions, Inc, Seattle
The clear and concise copy as well as the very appealing graphic formatting make this an excellent handbook which will be useful to so many different users in so many ways
Tony Costello, Professor of Architecture, Ball State University, USA
This excellent work shows an absolute understanding of the issues of consultation/participation
Peter Richards, Deicke Richards Architects, Australia
This is the best practical guide to running a community planning event, and a must for community groups and councils both in the UK and abroad
Roger Evans, Chairman, Urban Design Group
'An accessible how-to-do-it style, with tips, checklists and sample documents help readers to get started quickly, learn from others experience and select the approach best suited to their situation. The glossary, bibliography and contact details allow them to find further resources and information. This handbook is essential for all those involved in shaping their local environment - planners, architects, community workers, local authorities and residents - and a useful reference for students.'
Attractively laid out with illustrations, graphics and sample documents
[its] informative, accessible and worthwhile Housing
This handbook is for planners, local authorities, architects, community workers, students and local residents
OXFAMS REVIEW OF JOURNALS
An excellent guidebook in new planning method.
valuable not only for specialists but also for any general reader interested in the most pressing global environmental problems and in the inadequacies and inequities in the means proposed to address them
ENVIRONMENT & URBANIZATION
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
"The Community Planning Handbook" is designed to be easily searched for ideas and practical direction in planning and organizing events, managing processes and establishing organizations to involve and empower citizens to give informed direction to the designs and implementation of changes to the architecture in their communities. The text is written from a UK perspective although there is considerable effort made to include photos and context from other nations, especially from rural villages in places like China, India, Fiji, Kenya and the Philippines. Jeremy Brook's graphical design is very user friendly with hundreds of illustrative photos, diagrams, time lines and information boxes.
Although "The Community Planning Handbook" is written within a limited scope of physical planning and design for villages, towns and cities, many of the principles, methods and suggestions are still applicable to other situations of participatory planning, such as public policy and organizational change. If you want to help manage organization and community efforts that are bottom-up, buy this book and keep it on your desk.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Deals in Books
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Politics > Reference
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Politics > Regional Planning
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Anthropology > Cultural
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Sociology > Communities
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Sociology > History
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Urban Planning & Development
- Books > Professional & Technical > Architecture > Urban & Land Use Planning
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Earth Sciences > Geography
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Architecture
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Humanities
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Science
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Social Sciences
- Books > Science & Math > Earth Sciences > Geography
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Reference
- Books > Textbooks > Architecture
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Architecture
- Books > Textbooks > Sciences > Earth Sciences
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences > Political Science > Public Policy