summer boutiques-francophones Learn more snsflyout Home All-New Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools Family

on March 8, 2016
At this point in my life I am a local/civic politician and farmer.

This book has empowered me both as a citizen and as a politician to realize that if you can bring a group of people together, you can get great things done. Coming from the student movement, I kinda already believed that but Peter's book help me look at this through the eyes of a local politician.

Too often governments are trying to come up with the solutions and this book spoke to why that fails BUT also why people keep trying to connect in our continuously online and fractured world.

Some of the reviewers said that this was "dense" but I found it to be the kind of read that you pick up for a while, fill up your brain and put down when full. This book was so good that I wrote notes in it, which for me means its a KEEPER and that I will always be going back to it once in a while to check in.

As an example of how this book changed me, I am now working with a group of teens to get the local skatepark expanded but instead of trying to control the situation or "manage" the teens, I have simply facilitated the process and given them the tools they need along with the assurance that I will support them along the way. They are now flourishing.
on May 13, 2015
Not an easy read, but I've highlighted many sections in it.
It is an inspiring and very important read in an increasingly disconnected (well, connected online) world.
on May 20, 2015
This purchase saved me almost 2/3 of the price for a hard copy of the book. Works on all my devices.
"Mercy and truth have met together;
Righteousness and peace have kissed." -- Psalm 85:10

One of my favorite sayings is that "the best help is self-help." That's one of the major themes of this book.

I came to the book as someone who favors finding solutions that delight all those affected and as a fan of Peter Block's classic book, Flawless Consulting. I wasn't prepared for what I found in the first few chapters of Community: A dense summary of the views of other authors that feature their jargon and concepts. It was heavy going. I almost gave up before the book's message began to yield to Peter Block's views as exemplified by some examples from the Cincinnati area.

This book could have been told in a much more direct, simple, and easier-to-understand way. I found myself mentally translating the concepts back into ordinary English to grasp the major points.

As a result, the book comes across as almost like a simplified dissertation, not the kind of work that you may be expecting. One of the limits of tipping one's cap as an author to so many other writers is that you are limited in how much you can advance the argument into new territory without doing some new homework.

There's lots of good advice in the book so I do hope you will persevere. If our communities are to become stronger and more nurturing for all, we need to get past arguing about philosophies while nothing gets done. This book can be a helpful contribution to such progress if people read and apply its vision and structural recommendations.
on November 27, 2015
Great read!
on May 23, 2012
Haven't read it yet. Will have to come back and leave a proper review. At glance though - I am happiest reading Foucault or Slavoj Zizek. Stay tuned for a review... I am just writing because this requires 20 words...