on November 3, 2003
~As a typical homebrewer I enjoy reading as many books about the art as I can find. I was a big fan of the 2nd E of this book. That book got me started. Unfortunately it did go out of date... I am now happy to report that C.P. has done a great job updating his book. It has new information on extracts, hops, yeast, the works. Yet, the basic brewing technique is relatively unchanged. Papazian's writing is easy to read and I enjoy the laid-back style. The tables make more sense now (some~~ minor changes) and the recipes are also nicely revamped. I recommend this book to anyone interested in getting started with homebrewing.~
on September 22, 2010
This book is probably responsible for more people getting into homebrewing than any other book. It's the gateway through which many of the great micro-breweries' founders got their start in brewing.
Charlie has a wonderful casual writing style which is easy to read while not dumbing down the material. While nominally a technical guide, it's also entertaining and extolls the spiritual virtues of great beer, beer with soul.
Some other books may be more technically accurate or up-to-date on specifics of technique, but they just aren't as enjoyable.

If you like beer and brew beer, have wanted to brew beer, you should own this book. Papazian's infectious passion for beer and his straight-forward approach are wonderful.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon September 18, 2010
Just one tip for homebrewers... Relax... Have a homebrew!

This book is easy to read, full of useful informations about how to start brewing your own beer at home. Took some time at first, but with this book I got lots of useful tips about the different stages of fermentation, the kits you can buy, different recipes and so on!

Thanks Charlie Papazian!
on October 16, 2014
This book was recommended by a friend as the "bible of home brewing". It didn't disappoint. In a playful manner it reviews all aspects of home brewing beer from kits, extracts, and all grain. It includes details on common home made equipment and many good recipes. It touches on the science, but doesn't overwhelm the reader.

I've read this book cover to cover and reference it a couple times a year. This is a must for anyone interested in the hobby of home brewing beer.
on December 13, 2013
This is a great book. Especially if you are moving from extract to all-grain brewing. There are lots of recipes for the transition. The book is also really well written, some of the descriptions made my girlfriend ask me to make certain recipes, just based on the description of the taste. Highly recommend this book.
on October 16, 2015
Very informative book and well written. I'd highly recommend it. Only con I can think of is that this book doesn't cover equipment setup very well for all grain, but there are a lot of resources online to fill that gap.
on October 28, 2008
I brew a few batch with commercial kits but they were not all good. After a read that book, I found a lot of usefull information. I recomended it for those of you who wants to improve your brewing technics.
on December 7, 2003
This is where you start (and I started) when learning the basics of homebrewing. It is an essential first step and offers simple step by step guidance along with more advanced considerations.
on June 29, 2014
This book takes you from total beginner to expert in a most enjoyable way.
It is both informative and humorous.
on June 9, 2014
What can I say except "every home-brewer needs to read this book" I plan to revisit it again soon and often