Computer Viruses For Dummies Paperback – Aug 27 2004
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
Build up your defenses against online germ warfare
Discover how viruses work and how to outsmart the cyber-thugs who create them
Viruses, worms, and Trojan horses create a serious health problem for your PC, but this handy little book has the antidote! Itll help you exterminate those nasty bugs and protect your system from catching more. Find out how to choose the right antivirus software, develop healthy computing habits, and keep your PC happy.
The Dummies Way
- Explanations in plain English
- "Get in, get out" information
- Icons and other navigational aids
- Tear-out cheat sheet
- Top ten lists
- A dash of humor and fun
Discover how to:
- Understand how worms and Trojan horses work
- Practice safe surfing
- Block spyware and set up a firewall
- Cure an existing virus infection
- Use virus protection effectively
About the Author
Peter Gregory, CISSP, CISA, has spent 20 years developing technology solutions for those who arent technologically oriented. He is an information security strategist for a wireless telecommunications carrier.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Beyond viruses, this book also goes into other forms of nasty programs like Trojan Horses, HiJackers (that replace your home page with theirs), worms, Phishing Scams, and Spyware. I'd have liked to have seen just a little more about some of these, such as an evaluation of the anti- software that is available.
Like all the For Dummies books, this is a good introductory book, not the final word. But if you have a computer connected to the web, you'd best be paying at least some attention to Viruses, and this is a good start.
Both books do a wonderful job discussing the history of computer viruses, how to get them off your computer and how to prevent them from coming back in the future. Guess it just comes down to what you want to pay versus how easy the reading is to understand, and how easy the instructions are to follow.
Both books are easy to read and understand. This one however is a bit wordy, and little more technical. Might be hard to understand for some readers that are a little less "techie".
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computers & Technology > Networking & Cloud Computing
- Books > Computers & Technology > Security & Encryption
- Books > Computers & Technology > Software > Introductory Guides
- Books > Computers & Technology > Web Development > Security & Encryption > Viruses
- Books > For Dummies Store > Computers & Internet > General
- Books > For Dummies Store > Computers & Internet > Software > General
- Books > For Dummies Store > Computers & Internet > Web Development > Security & Encryption