Learn How to Create Stories That Captivate Agents, Editors, and Readers Alike!
Inside you'll find the tools you need to build strong characters, keep your plots moving, master the art of dialogue, choose the right point of view, and more.
This comprehensive book on the art of novel and short story writing is packed with advice and instruction from best-selling authors and writing experts like Nancy Kress, Elizabeth Sims, Hallie Ephron, N.M. Kelby, Heather Sellers, and Donald Maass, plus a foreword by James Scott Bell. You'll learn invaluable skills for mastering every area of the craft:
- Define and refine your characters.
- Make your plot and conflict high-energy and intense.
- Hone your story's point of view.
- Create a rich setting and backstory.
- Craft dialogue that rings true.
- Select the right words and descriptions throughout your story.
- Revise your story to perfection.
Throughout you'll find supplemental sections that cover special topics like getting started, beating writer's block, researching your work, and getting published. They'll help you integrate your skills into a balanced, productive, and fulfilling career.
Whether you're writing flash fiction, a short story, a novel, or an epic trilogy, you'll come away with the tools you need for strong and effective storytelling.