From the Back Cover
Cryptography and Public Key Infrastructure on the Internet providesa thorough overview of the subject. It explains how susceptiblenetworks are to hacking and how cryptography can help. Thiscomprehensive and practical guide covers:
* Public Key Infrastructures (PKIs); important when usingcryptography in a large organisation,
* the difference between the SSL protocol and the IPSecstandard,
* integration of cryptography into the different OSI-layers, andhow to decide whether hardware or software solutions are the rightmeans to achieve this.
The book also includes sections on::
* elliptic curve cryptography
* chip cards
* algorithm modes and protocols - including SSL, TLS, IPSec, SMIMEand PGP protocols
* cryptography's connection with biometry (using biologicalcharacteristics for authentication purposes).
Cryptography and Public Key Infrastructure on the Internet is anindispensable guide for all levels of reader. It contains valuablereference material about statutes and standards affectingencryption, which companies are active in the market, and areference guide to people, organisations, books and websites to goto for further information.