Revised and Expanded Edition!
Used by culinary professionals and students around the country, this book presents proven step-by-step methods for understanding foodservice math and using it appropriately in the kitchen. Authored by former instructors at The Culinary Institute of America, it is filled with examples and sample problems that connect math skills to real-world situations. this edition has been expanded with new material on topics such as inventory, yield percentage, and statistics. It also includes more practice problems in each chapter to help readers develop and practice their problem-solving skills.
Well organized and easy to use, Culinary Math reviews basic addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division; presents the units of measure used in most professional kitchens in the United States; and offers simple methods for converting weight and volume measures.
It also shows how to:
- Calculate yield percent
- Determine costs, edible portion costs, recipe costs, and beverage costs
- Find out the amount of a product needed for a particular use
- Carry out conversions for purchasing and food costing
- Change recipe yields
- Understand and use kitchen ratios
- Convert U.S. measures to metric units and vice versa